How Do You Introduce a New Fish to the 'MOB'

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slavishly QT all my fish, and it is most discouraging to get a new fish through 4-8 weeks of QT disease free and up to weight only to have it beaten to death by the resident 'mob' in the display. This used to happen to me with some regularity until I adopted my current regimen. Haven't lost a new fish to resident aggression now in almost 5 years (have lost them for other reasons though). It's really just four things:

1. Ensure fish is at a healthy weight and eating before attempting to add it to the display; skinny fish and hiding aren't a combination for a good prognosis.
2. Use a socialization box (also called an acclimation box), and keep the fish in it for at least three days even if there is no observed aggression. Longer is fine.
3. Tape a good sized mirror to one end of the tank; in addition to distracting the more aggressive fish, it's quite comical to watch them posture for their reflections.
4. Release the new fish from the box after the lights have gone off and the 'mob' is sleeping.

There's nothing particularly revolutionary about these things; but they have worked really well for me. Doesn't eliminate aggression completely, but it reduces it enough for a positive outcome. Sequence/order of introduction helps in the early stages of a tank; but becomes impractical after that.

Any different or clever things that other folks are doing?

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I've always wondered if mirrors add any value when adding new fish.

I saw a noticable reduction in aggression when I started using my acclimation box. I agree, that 3 days seems to be about right.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do appreciate this. I've been trying to figure out how to add another fish with a bully clown and six line.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious, how does the fish handle being in a small acclimation box for 3 days?

It doesn't necessarily have to be small; though I did make my own because the commercially available options at the time were all too small LOL. If a fish is too big for the box, it's also likely to be too big to be bullied.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the acclimation box, I always make sure I have a front to back break in my aquascape so I can slide an eggcrate divider in to keep the bullies away from the new fish. I like this better than the box because it lets the new fish claim some territory in the tank and find some hiding spots in the rockwork for once the divider is removed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back