How do you keep nitrates & phosphates down in a large tank?

Jrco226

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Messages
333
Reaction score
169
Location
Lexington, KY
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g tank + 30G sump that will be FOWLR and I'm curious as to how some folks keep these numbers down with larger tanks. Any and all comments/suggestions welcomes, thanks!
 
Large amount of surface area for biological filtration as in lots of rock and/or the bio media blocks. Rinse food well and don't over feed. I just watched the BRS video on cheat refugiums, so I should mention that as well.
 
I used to carbon dose but now I can't keep nitrates without dosing kno3 to get some. (180g)
 
I was thinking of a cheato reactor but haven't found anything that seem worth the money being asked other than diy route. I will look into carbon dosing as well.
 
Just a quick caveat on carbon dosing, especially vodka, is that you definitely need good skimming and aeration. The process can consume a lot of dissolved oxygen, and I had a partial tank crash years ago from over dosing the tank with vodka. Vinegar is a lot more forgiving
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 9.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new