How do you keep your nutrients and trace elements stable?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm writing this because I seem to be having a hard time keeping my tank parameters stable. Tested today, salinity 1.025 (always stable), N- 12ppm, phos- .09, calcium 315, All- 7dkh, mg 800. I have a 70 gallon Red Sea max e 260. I do 10 gallon water changes every other week. However my calcium seems to fluctuate last week it tested at 370 and now 300. and alk is pretty consistent at 7.6 I dose to try and keep at 8 - 9 weekly. I haven't tested mag for about 5 months because for a year straight it was always 1400 now it reads 800. So my numbers seem to be everywhere and I having to dose to keep up would cost me a fortune if it just this much. I don't have an extreme amount of coral and only one spa (montipora frag), I do have aLPS and softies tho. but I do have a lot of Coraline algae. So I guess what are your tips and tricks to a stable system?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a calcium reactor. Spendy up front, but long term is is definitely cost effective.
Even though you have only the Monti, Coraline is also a big consumer of Calcium and Alkalinity.
Based on the numbers you show, you will need to increase your dosing to keep up with demand.
As for salinity, look into an Auto Top Off (ATO). A required piece if equipment in my book. You can find them used, but.. a malfunctioning ATO can also be a tank (and floor) killer. I use and recommend the Tunze 3155. Definitely not the cheapest option, but they flat out work.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a calcium reactor. Spendy up front, but long term is is definitely cost effective.
Even though you have only the Monti, Coraline is also a big consumer of Calcium and Alkalinity.
Based on the numbers you show, you will need to increase your dosing to keep up with demand.
As for salinity, look into an Auto Top Off (ATO). A required piece if equipment in my book. You can find them used, but.. a malfunctioning ATO can also be a tank (and floor) killer. I use and recommend the Tunze 3155. Definitely not the cheapest option, but they flat out work.
I do have an ATO Tunze 3155 as well, One of the first things I bought for my tank. Salinity has never been a problem mostly alk, cal, and mg. What do you guys product wise to dose. I am one year in to saltwater from fresh water and there is so much to still learn.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an ATO Tunze 3155 as well, One of the first things I bought for my tank. Salinity has never been a problem mostly alk, cal, and mg. What do you guys product wise to dose. I am one year in to saltwater from fresh water and there is so much to still learn.
There are lots of options out there additive wise. As for off the shelf options, I like B-Ionic. Their stuff seems to be a little stronger concentration wise, than other brands. You use less that way.
Another viable option is buying in bulk from places like BRS. You can make the concentration as strong as you like that way. You just need to be precise batch to batch to keep things consistent.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of options out there additive wise. As for off the shelf options, I like B-Ionic. Their stuff seems to be a little stronger concentration wise, than other brands. You use less that way.
Another viable option is buying in bulk from places like BRS. You can make the concentration as strong as you like that way. You just need to be precise batch to batch to keep things consistent.
OKay i will look into it, I've been using redsea foundation and it gets expensive

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back