How do you kill off soft corals in sps tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nvfishman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nvfishman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
143
Reaction score
17
Location
las vegas nv
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered several acro colonies several have your normal algae buta few have xenia.

I got a file fish to eat the aptasia. I was hoping he would eat all the soft corals but he isn't anyone got any suggestions my tank is 90% sps with a few favia and chalices
 
I've tried Aptasia X on my shrooms, doesn't work at all! Tried kalk paste and nope that didn't either. Tried boiling water, nadda. Cutting them only makes them come back double.
See what I mean?
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394993906.263197.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394993906.263197.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 807
I use a kalk paste just thin enough to apply with a plastic syringe and it kills anything I don't want. Aptasia especially, but I've killed palys and mushrooms many times.
 
I too am having the same problem. RUNAWAY pink Xenia growing over my Fiji rock and stinging all others in my tank. When doing WC I turn my rocks over an it at least slows down the growth. Anytime I ask my local fish stores thy say why do you want to get rid of what grows so easy. :-(
 
Why are you wanting to kill your soft corals? They should be able to coexist

Same reason we use weed killer on our lawns. Sometimes it's just not desirable in our tank's. Xenia and some other softies are invasive
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new