How do you know how much and how often to dose trace elements?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased Tropic Marin A+ and K+. My total tank volume is 80 gallons and the recommended daily dose on the container just seems like a lot to me as are most of these additives. How do you know how much your corals actually need? Also is it possible to overdose on trace elements?

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I do it is when I'm cleaning my sump or one patch of the tank with low flow. I use carbon, socks, and a refugium as my export, and dose everything else back in.
What about import or key trace elements that ur tank may also consume ( beyond dKH, Calc, Mag, nitrate and phos ?

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you don't eye ball a reef tank! Things get out of hand by the time you see a problem, (see above). Test test test. Your supposed to keep things balanced. And guys as far as dosing goes be very careful, when I was starting out I got rtn twice because I overlooked that I was using reef crystals and also dosing seachem- $$$ oops. Last thing, don't try pushing it. The guys you watch pushing pH and max dosing loose things too. Just push balancing and you will see the the best results from your ecosystem. When I made balancing my main concern my slowest growing brain corals have been bounding. I notice difference every month. Good luck
You might want to look up who you're responding to.

Upvote 0

reefthereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my ignorance, how is this possible? it goes against everything i'm reading.
Is it possible. Your setting a tank up as a ecosystem. If you know how to do it it can be done. I know a biologist whom does it.
A lot of what a person reads needs to be taking with a grain of salt. They push water changes especially in saltwater due to the more water changes you do the more salt you go through therefore have to buy more. If a person takes a moment and thinks there water in the aquarium evaporates mine is about half gallon a day which is 3 gallons a week. So new water is being added on a daily basis. All of my freshwater water tanks run them self. To the point the filter is only there for circulation now. I haven't done a water change in them for several months I just topped them off on a daily basis. I recommend going over to you tube and watch father fish. Applying this to a saltwater aquarium allows you to really start enjoying your tank and not be a slave to the tank worrying about numbers. As along as you have a guideline your fine.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible. Your setting a tank up as a ecosystem. If you know how to do it it can be done. I know a biologist whom does it.
A lot of what a person reads needs to be taking with a grain of salt. They push water changes especially in saltwater due to the more water changes you do the more salt you go through therefore have to buy more. If a person takes a moment and thinks there water in the aquarium evaporates mine is about half gallon a day which is 3 gallons a week. So new water is being added on a daily basis. All of my freshwater water tanks run them self. To the point the filter is only there for circulation now. I haven't done a water change in them for several months I just topped them off on a daily basis. I recommend going over to you tube and watch father fish. Applying this to a saltwater aquarium allows you to really start enjoying your tank and not be a slave to the tank worrying about numbers. As along as you have a guideline your fine.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It is not possible to grow hard corals or coralline algae in a tank with no calcium and alkalinity additions. Reef tanks are totally different than fresh water tanks in terms of trying to set them up as closed ecosystems.

Replacing evaporated water with pure water does nothing to supply needed elements the way a water change does .

Upvote 0

reefthereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It is not possible to grow hard corals or coralline algae in a tank with no calcium and alkalinity additions. Reef tanks are totally different than fresh water tanks in terms of trying to set them up as closed ecosystems.

Replacing evaporated water with pure water does nothing to supply needed elements the way a water change does .
Well no you do need calcium ans alkalinity. You also need to make sure your parameters and elements are there and to dose accordingly. I apologize if my message came off wrong. It was nit my intention there.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back