How do you know how much light you should have without a PAR meter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kayvon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kayvon

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2017
Messages
233
Reaction score
195
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never known how people know whether they should turn their lights up or down by simply looking at the corals. I have never been able to get fast growth of my corals like I know I should be. What indicators do you use to tweak intensity and spectrum in your lights?
 
I have never known how people know whether they should turn their lights up or down by simply looking at the corals. I have never been able to get fast growth of my corals like I know I should be. What indicators do you use to tweak intensity and spectrum in your lights?
Start low and slowly work your way up until it looks like your corals are getting annoyed and then dial it back a little bit. Otherwise you can check with local reefing forums. Alot of times they have a par meter that they loan out to users of good standing. That's what I did.
 
There are quite a number of good app for your mobile phone that measure light intensity. It might not be that accurate but at least you know your intensity at water surface to give you some ideas how intense your light are.
 
Lux meter.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new