How do you know if your RO/DI System Is Working?

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I decided to upgrade recently from my 10g to a 25g. I also decided it was time for an RO/DI system. I filled the new tank up with all new RO/DI water. Cycled it and even took some extra time to make sure the parameters matched the old tank exactly. However, less than 24 hours after adding my two fish, two snails, two crabs and a bunch of corals to the new tank, I had one dead fish, one in "critical care" and my inverts were moving very slowly. The corals were still not fully opening. I added some Prime, and carbon and within two hours of doing so, the inverts were moving about and scavenging, the corals were starting to open up more and the fish in "critical care" is improving. My suspicion is that the water has not been filtered properly. How do you know if your RO/DI system is working?

Thanks for your input.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion is --how much live rock do you have?
Sounds like you encountered something like a spike of ammonia.

OP
OP
MeMyFishandI

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion is --how much live rock do you have?
Sounds like you encountered something like a spike of ammonia.

Tested the water as soon as I noticed the issue (this morning), ammonia was still 0. Nitrites 0 Nitrates around 5ppm.

I don't know exactly how much rock is in there but I think we are sitting at around 30+ pounds.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was speaking about the rock. If the old rock was only a small amount you might not have enough biological filtration. This could lead to an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
MeMyFishandI

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was speaking about the rock. If the old rock was only a small amount you might not have enough biological filtration. This could lead to an ammonia spike.
About half the rock is old rock, and i did cycle the new rock before adding the fish. I also tested and there were no spikes.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back