How do you make a website to sell frags on?

OMGcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Square or Shopify are both great!

Being a one person shop I'd highly suggest keeping the website as easy as you can for yourself, by this I mean find a platform that works for you and that'll provide you with what you're looking for.

nea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about making a website to sell frags. Does anybody have any recommendations? Also, how do you create the website itself?
I am considering this as well. Have you attempted to take corals into a store for credit prior to this attempt?

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Software dev here. As mentioned Wix, Squarespace or Shopify are going to be your best bets. I haven't used Wix or Squarespace, but I have some experience with Shopify so I would recommend looking into them. I think they are a bit more expensive than the other two, but the customization, plugins to help automate things and support is quite good and extensive.

Before going down this route, I would really look into the cost and see if you are going to be selling enough coral to make it worth your time. Unless this is a side project for fun. If that's the case go big and have fun!

Think about:
How long it will take to setup and run. Packaging, shipping, troubleshooting customer issues with the site, keeping it up to date
Purchasing the domain(usually quite cheap, but still an expense)
Transaction fee's from stripe

A local reefer was starting his own frag shop. Had a couple 400g tanks filled with imported frags. He was using something like Wix for his site. He said the biggest headache and time sink for him was keeping the site updated and running. Between taking pictures and adding them to the site, dealing with customer questions issues, general site upkeep. He said it was the most time consuming part of the operation.

When selling things online you're taking peoples credit card info and dealing with money. This leaves much less room for error.

Good luck!

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Ebay not an option?
I'd rather buy off a professional site rather than ebay but I'm sure they get plenty of business on there. I have used Shopify before and they make it very easy to make a professional looking site. Get a good camera to post great pics and look up some youtube videos on setting up the site/payments/shipping etc and you'll be good to go. Sorry from bringing this thread up from the dead lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back