How do you manage to keep phosphates low but not zero?

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic question but I am wondering what the go-to method of keeping phosphates above 0 but not above .10 is. Would really appreciate it!

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what is the PO4 level when you don't do anything to modify? too low, too high?
I run a refugium with Cheato and GFO reactor. So it’s usually zero but when I dose reef roids I see levels of ~.12

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dose Reef Roids in smaller amounts over multiple days so you don't get that spike. If you're zeroing out PO4 I would take GFO offline and use the time of the refugium light as a variable to keep PO4 where you want it.

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dose Reef Roids in smaller amounts over multiple days so you don't get that spike. If you're zeroing out PO4 I would take GFO offline and use the time of the refugium light as a variable to keep PO4 where you want it.
Great idea! I was leaning that way and you just confirmed it!

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! Keep an eye on nitrates as you go. If you zero nitrates the Chaeto won't grow and PO4 will rise. Thats when you can bring GFO online until you get nitrate/PO4 in a good balance.

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! Keep an eye on nitrates as you go. If you zero nitrates the Chaeto won't grow and PO4 will rise. Thats when you can bring GFO online until you get nitrate/PO4 in a good balance.
How long can GFO sit in a reactor before solidifying? Does it matter?

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chaeto in a sump/fuge under a 600W horticulture light, which brings the P04 and N03 down close to zero. I have to feed the tank (luckily there are ten fish) fairly heavily to keep P04 above zero.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my GFO Reactor pump set on a timer program on my controller. Ten minutes on each hour. I just adjust the on period if needed.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a refugium with Cheato and GFO reactor. So it’s usually zero but when I dose reef roids I see levels of ~.12

Reduce or remove the GFO and see what happens.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. The smell of water that has sat in a reactor for a week is awful. Not sure how long you should let it sit though. Anyone else want to chime in on that?

I'm generally against letting reactors sit idle for this reason. Obviously, 1 minute is OK, but exactly how long is ok depends on what is in the water such as organics, and what your definition of OK is.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back