OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I tested po4 in my tank yesterday and it was 0.61ppm

I want it lower, but my nems and corals are all thriving regardless. Something else may be upsetting your anemone.
Oh interesting!! Thank you for saying that. I honestly think maybe the gha maybe making the nem mad then? Or maybe its because I keep using the phosguard so the levels become unstable when it's exhausted upsetting the nem. I have no idea.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugiums are easy to use and give zooplankton (copepods) a great place to breed. The excess pods can be eaten by a wrasse that also rids your tank of harmful critters. This tank is getting upgraded soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugiums are easy to use and give zooplankton (copepods) a great place to breed. The excess pods can be eaten by a wrasse that also rids your tank of harmful critters. This tank is getting upgraded soon.
Can you tell me where you bought that? Didnt realize they could go inside the tank!

joaocdestro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the detailed response! Very informative. If I dont have a skimmer will the elimi np still be effective? In the 60g I dont have corals. Im less worried about the nitrate as I am the phosphate but I could be wrong in thinking that!
No, and if you have Skimmer Elimini NP will export most of your No3, and just a little of Po4.

I don't remember the exact number but i think is arround 100-130 carbon, 16 Nitrates, 1 phosphate on every bacteria.

So you will export 16 nitrate o 1 phosphate with bacterias... something close to this... (redfield ratio)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, and if you have Skimmer Elimini NP will export most of your No3, and just a little of Po4.

I don't remember the exact number but i think is arround 100-130 carbon, 16 Nitrates, 1 phosphate on every bacteria.

So you will export 16 nitrate o 1 phosphate with bacterias... something close to this... (redfield ratio)

I do not agree. I would not rely on such ratios since there are many processes in reef tanks, including denitrification driven by organics, that reduce only one and not both of nitrate and phosphate. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will look into that!

FWIW, there are many hobby and nonhobby brands of lanthanum available, which is what that product is.

Be sure to note the small but apparently real risk to tangs using it.

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above advice is good but I don't think that high Phosphate is your problem. Your tanks look very new and somewhat typical for that stage. My first tank had a similar look for quite some time. My first, and best, recommendation is to send some pictures of your tanks to John Maloney at ReefCleaners.org and get a very aggressive cleanup crews for both tanks. Next if you have not already done so add copepods and amhipods to the tanks. These are the smaller members of the cleanup crew that many people overlook. Tuxedo urchins and conches work wonders. I have 3 of each in my 90 gal tank. Skimmers are a good Idea for removing excess organics and are a necessity if you carbon dose. Also try adding phytoplankton. It is microscopic algae that will feed filter feeders and coral and use some of the nutrients that feed your hair algae. Do weekly,10 percent, water changes at least until things settle down.

Here is my 90 gal. I carbon dose 8ml of Vodka nightly. One liter of Kalk solution daily. 100ml of Phytoplankton* daily. 16 ozs of Copepods* weekly. 50 ml of potassium nitrate (KNO3) solution every other day. Acro Power 8ml of twice a week. Coral get feed Reefroids or Micro Vert every other day. 10 to 13 gal water changes weekly. * I raise my own.

And I have a terrible Phosphate/Nitrate ratio. Phosphates measure between 0.25 and 0.6 and nitrate were not measurable until I started the KNO3 dosing. Now if I am lucky I will have 1 ppm nitrate. The Phosphate swing is due to using GFO and Phosbguard. I will be discontinuing those when they run out since the effect is too short lived.

As you can see from the tank picture, coral color is good, growth is excelent, the acros and other SPS corals don't mind the high phosphate, there is very little algae growth and both of my nems are perfectly happy.
Tank 20240226.jpg

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above advice is good but I don't think that high Phosphate is your problem. Your tanks look very new and somewhat typical for that stage. My first tank had a similar look for quite some time. My first, and best, recommendation is to send some pictures of your tanks to John Maloney at ReefCleaners.org and get a very aggressive cleanup crews for both tanks. Next if you have not already done so add copepods and amhipods to the tanks. These are the smaller members of the cleanup crew that many people overlook. Tuxedo urchins and conches work wonders. I have 3 of each in my 90 gal tank. Skimmers are a good Idea for removing excess organics and are a necessity if you carbon dose. Also try adding phytoplankton. It is microscopic algae that will feed filter feeders and coral and use some of the nutrients that feed your hair algae. Do weekly,10 percent, water changes at least until things settle down.

Here is my 90 gal. I carbon dose 8ml of Vodka nightly. One liter of Kalk solution daily. 100ml of Phytoplankton* daily. 16 ozs of Copepods* weekly. 50 ml of potassium nitrate (KNO3) solution every other day. Acro Power 8ml of twice a week. Coral get feed Reefroids or Micro Vert every other day. 10 to 13 gal water changes weekly. * I raise my own.

And I have a terrible Phosphate/Nitrate ratio. Phosphates measure between 0.25 and 0.6 and nitrate were not measurable until I started the KNO3 dosing. Now if I am lucky I will have 1 ppm nitrate. The Phosphate swing is due to using GFO and Phosbguard. I will be discontinuing those when they run out since the effect is too short lived.

As you can see from the tank picture, coral color is good, growth is excelent, the acros and other SPS corals don't mind the high phosphate, there is very little algae growth and both of my nems are perfectly happy.
Tank 20240226.jpg
Thank you! That is excellent info I appreciate you saying what you do for your tank! I am going to get an urchin or 2 next time I go to lfs. My 60g is 10 months old the 90g I got off marketplace in september but they said was a few years old. Im going to try and get a protein skimmer they're just quite expensive. I think the general concensus is phosphate may not be the issue!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back