How do you mount your new SPS frags?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As the title asks. How do you mount new SPS frags to your aquascape. I personally have been using Tunze coral gum. If that does not work I use superglue which I prefer because it holds better than the gum. I usually cut the stub at the end of the plug off and leave the plug for the coral to encrust on.

I am looking for more effective ways of mounting these corals. I find it hard to not put pressure on the frag when mounting. Ifell like I am breaking the coral especially if I press on the frag plug and it has encrusted on it. Any tips?

Also how do you place the coral...vertically,horizontally whichever way it looks best?

Thanks.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip, rinse, cut off base, remount, qt for an eternity (a month or longer) depending on observations. Then mount them in the tank in that spot you have been thinking if since day one. You will break them, pee them off, stress them and everything you can think of until you get good at it. I've seen skilled vendors chop up colonies and mount em on plugs and they look amazing after. I could look at that same coral wrong and it would melt. It just takes time, experience and coral voodoo. Watch some vendors you tube videos of fragging specific corals and it gives you a better sense of how to handle them.

Jose Moreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip with bayer, rinse, cut off plug, super glue to location or new plug.

Never use the original plug unless you want hitchhikers!

Jose Moreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always dip. I learned the hard way.

Youll be surprised at the things you find that die and come off the plug after youve dipped.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place them on a frag rack at the bottom of the tank. As I slowly raise them upward to get them accustomed to the higher intensity, I place the plugs in my rockwork at the depth I acclimate them to.

Once I have them in the general area of where I want them, I let them be for 3-4 weeks to make sure they stay looking good, adjust them higher/lower as needed.

Once I'm happy they're happy I remove them from the plugs and super glue gel them to the rockwork in the spot they were on the plug.

I actually just finished placing 6 SPS frags an hour ago. They started to encrust on the plugs so I decided to move today and get them in their forever homes. I don't like having the frag plugs in my tank.
:mad:

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip with bayer, rinse, cut off plug, super glue to location or new plug.
!

I agree with above but I use a expoxy/superglue sandwich.

After cutting off plug stem I put a little crazy glue on bottom of plug then a little ball of expoxy then a liberal amount of crazy glue and place on live rock. This allows a few things, no crazy glue on frag itself, but also the expoxy allows you to glue anywhere because the expoxy will conform to curves, rough areas, etc...

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you say cut off base is that the whole base of the plug or the nubby? I always dip have always since watching some Youtube vids.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back