Acro Mounting Suggestion

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi reefers, just get started with Acro, and I would like to get some suggestions on mounting.

I will be upgrading in a few years, and don’t plan to carry the aquascape over, so would like the Acros to be removable. Aquascape has pre-drilled holes that can be used to mount frags. What’s the best way to mount acros to avoid them encrusting on aquascape?

I thought about using 3” disk gluing to smaller plug so they can be plugged, but would like to get other ideas.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very wide plugs (i.e. your idea with the discs) are probably your best option. You'll have to figure out how to anchor the plugs to the rockwork in a somewhat removable fashion, though.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want them to encrust regardless if you plan to move them later. Once you start the new tank just plan to cut the coral off the old rock, remount to a new plug then reattaching to the new aquascape.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I say let it encrust and then break it free when you need to move it. . .

That said, your original idea is fine, take a large tile and glue it to a plug or cut the stem off the plug and just glue that to the tile.

If you want to be sure it doesn't encrust to the scape use a 12" square tile from home depot. . . sure it will look a little strange. . . but it will take a while for a frag to encrust the whole thing haha

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drill holes in rubble rock then glue in acrylic rods. Clip the stem then mount the top of your frag plug to the rubble.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see them rocking around if not glued down.
If you want to be sure it doesn't encrust to the scape use a 12" square tile from home depot. . . sure it will look a little strange. . . but it will take a while for a frag to encrust the whole thing haha
Probably the best answer but I think 12" is bigger than you'll need. Maybe 4 or 5 inch square or round tiles.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tile would be the only thing I could think to use but I hate the look of them.

I don't think I have it in me to grow acros for a few years and then move them without transferring the rock. I have a tank full of frags encrusting and could never see myself cutting them all off.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not stop any coral from encrusting or you could be threatening it's health. If it is encrusting, then it is doing so for a reason. Let it go. If you are good at this craft, many acros could be ready to frag back in two years anyway and you can start over with them.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would not stop any coral from encrusting or you could be threatening it's health. If it is encrusting, then it is doing so for a reason. Let it go. If you are good at this craft, many acros could be ready to frag back in two years anyway and you can start over with them.
I never try to stop them from encrusting. Just trying to find a way to move encrusted acro without too much trouble. I would like to keep the colony when I move but it’s not trivial to remove them from rock

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back