How do you put lights in aquarium hood?

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm looking into getting an aquatic life hybrid fixture for my 65gal. The tank is 36x18" but with the hood the 36" fixture will not fit and im looking at the 24" one as if its placed centered I should have more than enough light to get to the edges of the tank still. But anyways I want to mount it inside my hood and possibly just hang it from the inside. Have any of you guys done this with an aquatic life fixture? Or any fixture in general and could possibly share how that worked. I'd like to still be able to open the hood but would probably still have to remove it for heavy maintenance. I see it does come with a ceiling hanging kit but im wondering if its as simple as just mounting that inside my hood, but most things are never 'just that simple.'

OP
OP
Jjd531

Jjd531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't but I do know cooling is essential in hoods... bumping this to see if we can get you an answer.
Thanks, there is a big opening in the back of it, I could possinly install some sort of cooling fan if you'd have a recommendation, such as a PC fan or something more powerful even. I saw a tank at my LFS that had custom fans and screens in the hood and can't imagine it'd be too hard to get a pair in. I also, upon looking through a bunch of assembly videos, found that I could probably just get some hooks to secure it in the hood pretty easily on the inside. But you definitely raised a good point about keeping it cool. Also doing some quick digging, I found this fan, it seemed about what I'm looking for but if anyone would like to chime in and tell me there's a better option/ idea I'm all ears.

Screenshot_20200827-123352_Chrome.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back