How does everyone vaccum there sand bed??

I usually clean my sandbed once in awhile and when I do this is my method
Buy the python end at
https://www.amazon.com/Python-Pro-Clean-Gravel-Washer-Aquarium/dp/B001V6Y3LY
Cut it to size that can reach into your sump and run the hose end into your filter sock (I usually do this before I change out the filter sock) suck on the hose the old school way to create a siphon,then clean your sandbed...no mess no wasted water,no pump needed,no electricity needed to do this and you can spends hours upon hours of enjoyment getting that sandbed clean..smh
Here's a better understanding to what I'm saying
 
Last edited:
4eva, If you siphon from display into sump, won't levels in sump overflow as display empties?
I run a herbie the level in display is crucial for continued operation.
 
4eva, If you siphon from display into sump, won't levels in sump overflow as display empties?
I run a herbie the level in display is crucial for continued operation.
I have my return pump on ..the overall total water volume remains unchanged
 
I use the acrylic tube that allows me to shove it deep into the sand and control how thoroughly I filter each "dig" but what makes mine quite effective is the garden hose that goes down one floor before exiting. In other words, I get a lot of suction. The other thing that works great for sucking out individual little nasties is a brass fitting that I've sharpened and screwed onto the end of the hose.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new