How does temp affect salinity testers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oceanman5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2024
Messages
82
Reaction score
26
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my LFS they use an Icecap digital salinity tester. However I noticed that my salinity reads differently depending on the temperature.
Does anybody know why?
 
At my LFS they use an Icecap digital salinity tester. However I noticed that my salinity reads differently depending on the temperature.
Does anybody know why?
I think it has something to do with the evaporation of water. When the temperature is higher, the evaporation of water is greater, so the concentration of salt becomes higher.
 
The ice cap should not have a temp effect unless it is not well implemented by the company.

How large of an effect are you talking about and how did you measure it? If it is at the lfs, how can you be sure it is a temp effect?

Best way to check is take some tank water, measure the salinity, then let it cool to room temp and measure again.
 
The ice cap should not have a temp effect unless it is not well implemented by the company.

How large of an effect are you talking about and how did you measure it? If it is at the lfs, how can you be sure it is a temp effect?

Best way to check is take some tank water, measure the salinity, then let it cool to room temp and measure again.
I actually work at this LFS so I've noticed that when people bring their water samples which has sat in their car (83-90 F) the icecap pen shows once result and then when I let it cool, I get a different reading. I've seen salinity changes of about +/- 1.002. For example 1.025 and then 1.023. I haven't yet found a correlation whether a decrease in temp also decreases salinity
 
I actually work at this LFS so I've noticed that when people bring their water samples which has sat in their car (83-90 F) the icecap pen shows once result and then when I let it cool, I get a different reading. I've seen salinity changes of about +/- 1.002. For example 1.025 and then 1.023. I haven't yet found a correlation whether a decrease in temp also decreases salinity

Actual salinity does not change at all with temp.

The conductivity the ice cap measures is corrected internally for temp effects, but either the correction is not implemented perfectly, or the temps are outside its corrective range.
 
Actual salinity does not change at all with temp.

The conductivity the ice cap measures is corrected internally for temp effects, but either the correction is not implemented perfectly, or the temps are outside its corrective range.
ah okay got it thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new