How Does Your Reef Smell?

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent notcied any smells really, and I have my reef in the livingroom. The cabinet with the sump does have a "oceansmell" but it doesnt leak out.

R0nald_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent notcied any smells really, and I have my reef in the livingroom. The cabinet with the sump does have a "oceansmell" but it doesnt leak out.
I was having the same problem. I had just replaced my sump with a Ruby 30 and the drain had standing water in it because the filter sock and the outlet were below the water line. I had to put a small powerhead in there to keep the surface agitated. No more smell and I also got a little more movement into the fuge. We’ll see if this keeps the “tide pool” smell down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rarely is there an odor from any of my tanks
My filter socks remind me of the beach when I pull them out

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have to describe mine as fresh salty sweet, topic kind of reminds me of Kramer and his "Beach" episode. How else is this supposed to smell, don't know, no decaying organics emanating Hydrogen Sulfide and Methane gas in my living room.

I can remember while cycling 4 months ago my filter socks smelt like Ammonium Nitrate
thumbnail_20201201_140453.jpg

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ten gallon is kinda crashed and I’m soon moving everything over to a twenty gallon. It has a rotten almost sweet smell to it... like something that’s been fermenting. It’s gross and I hate it but it’ll be gone soon with this twenty gallon.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has such a sensitive nose that during the Summer with windows down in the car, she can smell someone smoking in a car a couple cars ahead of us, all stopped at a red light.

With that said she doesn't smell anything bc my DT is on the main floor and and the sump/skimmer stuff plumbed into the basement below.

Now.... if I disturb the DT moving LR, she comes within 20 feet of the tank and says "Whoa, yuke!".... but after a couple days she does smell anything.

Her biggest beef with me is things RUSTING in the basement. I had to build walls and encapsulate my fish room after our 15yr old furnace rusted out due to the sump being 15ft away. She was URINATED-OFF to say the least

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back