How effective is it to change the light in a Nano Aquarium

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to replace my standard RedSea 50W LED on my RedSea Max Nano Peninsula 26 gallon mixed reef tank with the Ecotech Marine XR15 G6 Pro.

I have been able to keep water parameters now stable at the levels I mostly want them, except phosphate, which is still in progress, and I feel that lighting might now hold back further coral growth. Also, I am still trying to improve PH further, which is currently stuck at 8.15 max.

I have read several articles around this topic, watched various YouTube videos from (potentially) credible sources, and it seems light quality vs intensity only makes a difference.

I have some SPS, LPS, ZOAs and a rainbow BTA, no acros.

My question is, should I see a significant improvement of my coral growth with these new lights, even if PAR does not increase (except in some darker spots the RedSea light cannot reach)?

Thank you!

IMG_0809.jpeg

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is surprisingly acidic. In a small tank it can negatively impact pH. It's a small impact, but an impact nonetheless.
Thank you. It does seem to cause a temporary drop by 0.2 for several days. I am also using Dr. Tims Ecoblance every other week (alternate with MB7), weekly one or the other, and this seems to have an even stronger impact. I have decided to only dose one of these every other week now. Not sure if this is actually needed but I have started doing this when I had Dino issues (prorocentrums).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a protein skimmer? It sounds like you might need better water/air exchange? Do you have a FTS so we can see the whole tank? With GFO, use a smaller amount and change it more frequently, as you want to reduce PO4 very slowly. I like to use PNS Probio as a more "natural" way of reducing PO4, I've had much better results using it over GFO, but that's me. Btw, the reduction of growth at that level is probably less than 10%, nothing any hobbyist should worry about. My PO4 levels are that high and I can see growth on my corals, but I get why you would want to lower them and that seems like a good goal to strive for. I do agree that light quality matters more than quantity, but it's a balancing act that one must figure out. If you are considering a new light, then I would check out the Reefi Uno Pro 2.0, it's way better than the xr15 and it's a light that can grow with you if you decide to upgrade to a larger tank.
Any more practical details you could provide on the PNS Pro Bio and how much you use per gallon and how often? I did read what I could find and it does seem very interesting (and even though I doubled my GFO from last week my phosphate level seems stuck at 0.29). Appreciate the help!

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any more practical details you could provide on the PNS Pro Bio and how much you use per gallon and how often? I did read what I could find and it does seem very interesting (and even though I doubled my GFO from last week my phosphate level seems stuck at 0.29). Appreciate the help!
I calculate the normal recommended dose (1.25mL/gal), then split that up in two doses a few days apart. Try every 3 days and test after a week or so and see how it’s going. You can safely dose the whole amount at once, but I like to ease into things. Be careful with gfo, there’s a point where it can strip away PO4 too fast and then you have another problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calculate the normal recommended dose (1.25mL/gal), then split that up in two doses a few days apart. Try every 3 days and test after a week or so and see how it’s going. You can safely dose the whole amount at once, but I like to ease into things. Be careful with gfo, there’s a point where it can strip away PO4 too fast and then you have another problem.
That's great, thank you. So basically once a week the recommended dose per gallon, split a few days apart, then test, and skimmer off for a few hours after each partial dose, I assume?

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great, thank you. So basically once a week the recommended dose per gallon, split a few days apart, then test, and skimmer off for a few hours after each partial dose, I assume?
That’s it. I try to keep the skimmer off for at least 4hrs, but longer is better.

Upvote 0
Back