brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official summary of cycles we see in reefing:

-dry rocks and wet sand:
add in bottle bac, a pinch of feed, an approximation of liquid cycling ammonia (exact dose not required, 2 ppm is NOT required that makes a lot of nitrate at the end) and your cycle is done when the bottle bac directions say it’s done, change out the water and begin (in case the ammonia approximation ran high, it’s less algae nitrate fuel water for early tank uglies to use)

-live rocks moved home from a pet store:
do nothing, add to a tank and it’s ready, these are already cured. Transferring live rocks tank to tank never dies off, never loses bacteria. It never spikes in ammonia. if you mix live and dry, you revert to live rock cycling mode not the dry one above. Adding a bunch of ammonia to live rocks burns the animals we paid to keep alive and make use of. The inert surfaces will be fully cycled in twenty days (cycling chart time) by mere association with live rock in the same water.

-uncured rocks
see above, it’s cpr water changes until they smell normal, ten days is about right and several water changes later. Don’t add bottle bac, you just paid for the best there is already attached. Bottle bac does not stop dieoff, things will now die because they’re not in the ocean, or shipped in air. bottle bac doesn’t fix that. If you choose to add prime initially that’s neutral. Doesn’t matter if you do or don’t, we use water changes before rot sets in therefore your additives will just be cast out anyway. The bacteria are never dead on uncured rocks, the curing process actually temporarily boosts them for obvious reasons

at no point in any of these cycles can you trust your test kits to help you, or agree with me. What you can trust your test kits to do is lead you to a pet store, for a purchase.

a recurring theme in any work thread Im in is assuring someone their cycle is done when a test kit says it isn’t but not as a guess, my criteria are different than the retail loop. Every job done in every work thread is from the set of four options above

Last edited:

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-dry rocks and wet sand:
add in bottle bac, a pinch of feed, an approximation of liquid cycling ammonia (exact dose not required, 2 ppm is NOT required that makes a lot of nitrate at the end) and your cycle is done when the bottle bac directions say it’s done, change out the water and begin (in case the ammonia approximation ran high, it’s less algae nitrate fuel water for early tank uglies to use)

do nothing, add to a tank and it’s ready, these are already cured. Transferring live rocks tank to tank never dies off, never loses bacteria. It never spikes in ammonia. if you mix live and dry, you revert to live rock cycling mode not the dry one above. Adding a bunch of ammonia to live rocks burns the animals we paid to keep alive and make use of. The inert surfaces will be fully cycled in twenty days (cycling chart time) by mere association with live rock in the same water.

-uncured rocks
see above, it’s cpr water changes until they smell normal, ten days is about right and several water changes later. Don’t add bottle bac, you just paid for the best there is already attached. Bottle bac does not stop dieoff, things will now die because they’re not in the ocean, or shipped in air. bottle bac doesn’t fix that. If you choose to add prime initially that’s neutral. Doesn’t matter if you do or don’t, we use water changes before rot sets in therefore your additives will just be cast out anyway. The bacteria are never dead on uncured rocks, the curing process actually temporarily boosts them for obvious reasons

at no point in any of these cycles can you trust your test kits to help you, or agree with me. What you can trust your test kits to do is lead you to a pet store, for a purchase.

a recurring theme in any work thread Im in is assuring someone their cycle is done when a test kit says it isn’t but not as a guess, my criteria are different than the retail loop. Every job done in every work thread is from the set of four options above
Thanks Brandon, that was helpful.

OP
OP
Natedogg1978

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a small number of digitate hydroids on my rocks coming out at night. The threads on R2R are conflicting, some say it will be a big issue in the future, others say no worries they will go away with reduced feeding (usually at the one year mark). Any thoughts or recommendations?

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-dry rocks and wet sand:

-uncured rocks

Brandon, I need your advice: I have some reef rock coming in today that has been delayed in shipment one day and I don't believe there will be any life because of the cold. I am thinking the bacteria will be fine if I go ahead and cure it as I had planned. I wanted your thoughts on what you would do in this situation.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the cycling bacteria will not be killed, they're insulated against that as a total wipeout mechanism. however the living benthic animals will die faster than normal so when it gets here Id cure it in brutes so that flushing water changes are practical. you can use tap and salt and dechlor, expecting lots of cycling in and out of water so no need for costly ro.

pre scrape and remove obvious not going to make it creatures off, before curing, you mainly need the rock and the coralline not so much every single attachment stalk organism and plant and mollusk

adding bottle bacteria is a complete waste here, we want flushing water and removal of decaying mass, same way bad burn tissue is debrided off wounds before packing and bandage and then its redone over and over until closure, the rocks need to be flushed n poked clean and the bacteria remain fine once they stop getting overcome w rot. adding prime or amquel for free ammonia is also a waste imo, as you can't chemically suppress the ammonia in the water more efficiently than you can deal with the source rot and take it out of the equation. pre scrape, and during curing especially smelly areas of rock get follow up scrape. bulk water change flushing is best. pump cpr work.

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the cycling bacteria will not be killed, they're insulated against that as a total wipeout mechanism. however the living benthic animals will die faster than normal so when it gets here Id cure it in brutes so that flushing water changes are practical. you can use tap and salt and dechlor, expecting lots of cycling in and out of water so no need for costly ro.

pre scrape and remove obvious not going to make it creatures off, before curing, you mainly need the rock and the coralline not so much every single attachment stalk organism and plant and mollusk

adding bottle bacteria is a complete waste here, we want flushing water and removal of decaying mass, same way bad burn tissue is debrided off wounds before packing and bandage and then its redone over and over until closure, the rocks need to be flushed n poked clean and the bacteria remain fine once they stop getting overcome w rot. adding prime or amquel for free ammonia is also a waste imo, as you can't chemically suppress the ammonia in the water more efficiently than you can deal with the source rot and take it out of the equation. pre scrape, and during curing especially smelly areas of rock get follow up scrape. bulk water change flushing is best. pump cpr work.
Thanks Brandon, I will do this as soon as it gets here.

OP
OP
Natedogg1978

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I catch my torch coral spawning?

Got video, but for some reason can’t upload it.

Attachments

• C3483AC3-0BEF-454D-B1C9-7DDCCDA7C33C.jpeg
    C3483AC3-0BEF-454D-B1C9-7DDCCDA7C33C.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 28DFFBF4-D691-4EAD-8ADE-C8FACE153BDC.jpeg
    28DFFBF4-D691-4EAD-8ADE-C8FACE153BDC.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 29
  • FB4758A4-8B88-489C-A070-453DD33A0823.jpeg
    FB4758A4-8B88-489C-A070-453DD33A0823.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 955963B1-5526-44F8-9AC5-F7A0D4C29658.jpeg
    955963B1-5526-44F8-9AC5-F7A0D4C29658.jpeg