How essential is sand to these three gobies?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm in the process of stocking my 50G bare bottom.

I was thinking of adding one or more of these three gobies, depending of their availability. I hear they're pretty tolerant of each other.
  1. Pinkbar goby (Amblyeleotris Aurora) - [located]
  2. Orange Stripe Prawn Goby (Amblyeleotris Randalli) - [located]
  3. Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops yasha) - [possibly too rare to find where I live].
I know they all display burrowing behaviours, but I've seen several people on the forums saying the yellow watchman goby can adapt to a bare bottom tank.

What's your take on these three gobies? Can they adapt to a bare bottom tank?

Thanks a lot!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, these are not suited for a bare bottom tank. All of them need a significant layer of sand and a pistol shrimp.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, all those gobies should be kept in pairs. Yasha can easily be sexed, of the others just get two and they gonna figure out who is who as they can change sex both ways.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThRoewer is right. At least 2” of sand is needed for burrowing and the Pistol Shrimp partner that digs the burrow.

And yeah from everything I’ve heard they change sex so they should eventually pair up (for the ones that don’t display sexual dimorphism).

A pair’s also a lot more interesting to watch. I personally plan to get a pair of YWGs.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay from what I just said do you think 2” of sand is good enough for these shrimp gobies?
More than enough if you don't mind the shrimp rearranging it a bit.
Actually, one inch can be enough if there are rocks they can tunnel under.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that these animals have evolved specifically to burrow in sand for thousands of years I'd say if they do ok in bare bottom it will only be because of their will to live and they will never really be given a chance to thrive. Luckily if your looking for gobies in general there are plenty of options that will do well in a BB tank! Some that come to mind are the cleaner gobies, clown gobies, the circus goby,hectors/rainford's goby and the green banded goby are all species that will thrive in and amongst your rock work and for that reason do not require sand but still give you the awesomeness of gobies! As a bonus a bunch of those species are available captive bred!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back