how far are your lights off your tank

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" shallow 80 gallon. Running SB ReefLight 32" timer version at 13" above water line. 100% blue 25% white.
IMG_9132.JPG
IMG_9134.JPG

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bif24701 was wondering what your max intensity is and do you use the diffuser? I use the slight diffusers and my max intensity is 57%. i raised it to 57% from about 45% when I started to use them.

I have had these lights for about 1.5 years, my corals have been well acclimated, feed heavily, and keep some nutrients in the system. Peak intensity is 85% and I also run a pair of T5s. 50-70% is plenty of PAR for any system where the AP700 is not covering 48" per fixture. I wouldn't raise your % at all if you get a feeling to do so, if your corals are doing well then why change? I don't like to reveal my intensity for that reason, I have a lot of experience and know what is needed when you have 400+ PAR in the majority of space in the system.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I like to see how others use their lights. I like where I have my lights. I've played with them more times than I can remember trying to get what appears to be good coverage. I used my par meter to help and I have a pink birds nest close to the top that lets me know when the intensity is too high. The diffusers help a lot as I can turn the light up to 57% and not cook my corals, but if I took the diffusers off and left it at 57% I would see polyps disappear easpecially in the upper half. I'm seeing good growth with these lights.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Radion XR15 is about 10 inches above water. My tank is only 12 inches deep, so the highest it goes through the day is 40%. I stick to the Radiant Color mode for the day.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I like to see how others use their lights. I like where I have my lights. I've played with them more times than I can remember trying to get what appears to be good coverage. I used my par meter to help and I have a pink birds nest close to the top that lets me know when the intensity is too high. The diffusers help a lot as I can turn the light up to 57% and not cook my corals, but if I took the diffusers off and left it at 57% I would see polyps disappear easpecially in the upper half. I'm seeing good growth with these lights.
You are a man after my own heart. My pink birdie is also my light gauge. I'm amazed how intense a pink she can get. I just moved my AP700s down from 9" to 7" with an 80% peak... hope I don't cook anyone.

Sonoran Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Radion Gen3 - I have the 9 inches off the water using the mounting arms they sell

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back