How far can I go?

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I don't seem to be doing well with my corals. The green star polyps are totally inactive, one of the zoas is only about 50%, and the Xenia has moved again and can't be seen. All the fish seem to be okay and are feeding well although one of the Pyjama Cardinals is in hiding, not seen since yesterday.
I have a 50 gallon tank with two Pyjama Cardinals, two Clowns, one Orange Firefish and a Royal Dottyback. Is this too much or could I add a Mandarin next year sometime?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I don't seem to be doing well with my corals. The green star polyps are totally inactive, one of the zoas is only about 50%, and the Xenia has moved again and can't be seen. All the fish seem to be okay and are feeding well although one of the Pyjama Cardinals is in hiding, not seen since yesterday.
I have a 50 gallon tank with two Pyjama Cardinals, two Clowns, one Orange Firefish and a Royal Dottyback. Is this too much or could I add a Mandarin next year sometime?
If those listed corals aren't doing well, there is an issue somewhere. Likely I heard with your water parameters or your lighting/flow. I've seen Gsp and xenia open in a bucket, they aren't hard corals to make happy.

Adding a mandarin would not be too much for that tank but be ready for it. At that size, a refugium is a requirement imo. They eat pods 24/7 at the rate of 1 every 3 seconds. You'll need a lot of breeding pods and rock for them to hide in.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_20210905_084904_286.jpg
    IMG_20210905_084904_286.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210905_084904_286.jpg
    IMG_20210905_084904_286.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210905_084838_002CS.jpg
    IMG_20210905_084838_002CS.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210905_084838_003CS.jpg
    IMG_20210905_084838_003CS.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 32

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sauce is totally correct about the corals. You need to post your parameters here before people will be able to help you with the issue. Don't worry, this can be sorted out. Since you are having problems with a couple of the easiest corals to keep alive, it is probably something obvious and simple to remedy. If the Xenia is healthy but moving higher in the tank, the problem with that one is likely too little light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again, did some tests earlier:-
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 8.2
Nitrates 0.05
Phosphates 0.03
Alkalinity 12
There's a protein skimmer, two interlinked powerheads, and the standard built in filter.
(It's a corner tank)
Also has the standard blue and white lights as supplied with the Juwel tank.
Thanks for the welcome and all the advice I've had so far!!

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing jumping out at me is the alk . Usually most folks around here run about 8- 9 alk, but be very careful lowering it . I don't see a calcium or mag test number and those 3 are the most frequently watched.
We'll help ya figure it out !

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again, did some tests earlier:-
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 8.2
Nitrates 0.05
Phosphates 0.03
Alkalinity 12
There's a protein skimmer, two interlinked powerheads, and the standard built in filter.
(It's a corner tank)
Also has the standard blue and white lights as supplied with the Juwel tank.
Thanks for the welcome and all the advice I've had so far!!
I am surprised. I thought something really obvious would show up.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showing my ignorance again. I didn't think I needed the Calcium and Magnesium test kits until I put LPS or SPS in the aquarium. I have been feeding the corals just before I go to moonlight mode. I had 7 polyps on the GSP yesterday but none today.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the slow reply. Tank is 6 months old but had no livestock for the first 3 months.
I actually enjoy testing!!!

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again, I moved the GSP higher up the rock and lowered the temperature. It seems to have improved a little but maybe a bit to soon to say definitely. Fish all doing fine although one Cardinal only seen once in five days. Orange zoa has also been moved to a place with more light to see if that helps. Xenia still missing!!

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again, I moved the GSP higher up the rock and lowered the temperature. It seems to have improved a little but maybe a bit to soon to say definitely. Fish all doing fine although one Cardinal only seen once in five days. Orange zoa has also been moved to a place with more light to see if that helps. Xenia still missing!!
Xenia blows all over the place. It's like an aquatic tumbleweed. It's probably somewhere halfway under a rock. They seek out places that they're impossible to find.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's a chance it will grow and spread wherever it is?

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's in the dark, I think it will live for a while but not grow much. I have a piece that attached itself in a heavily shaded area. It always looks like it's going to die but never does.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to say that I'd send you some if you needed it, but I guess that's not going to work. lol
It might smell a bit by the time it gets there.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the offer!!! And the advice. I'll have a look in the local store for a turkey baster tomorrow.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get a .05 nitrate reading? Is that supposed to be 5? Otherwise I’d say that’s your issue. Low nutrients would definitely tick off softies. Added onto that is the high alk and your lights may not be strong enough but I gotta do a bit more research into that. Is it t5s or leds? What is the wattage?

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will honestly be one of the best things you buy for your tank! I recommend one that is clear so that if you are sucking something up you can see if you got it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back