How fast can I raise kh?

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am on the verge on tying two reef tanks together and I want to match the main parameters.

The main tank is 2y old and the new tank is 3 weeks cyceling with some 2y old rock added to mainly dead clean rock.
I also added live sand over mainly 1-2mm dead sand and a bunch of cheatomorpha from the fuge to seed it with pods.
On top of this I added 2 cubes of frozen food in a sock and some bottled bacteria 2 times a week.

The tank now has diatoms on the sand bed and the pods are everywhere.

The old tank is 300 liters (400 with sump and fuge) and the new one is 200 liters.

I was wondering if I can just bump up the kh from 6,2 to 8,5 in one dose or if it is harmful to the bacteria and pods?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it in 1 day but not as one dose.

BRS says
Do not increase alkalinity levels more than 0.5meq/L or 1.4 dKH per day. If necessary spread the suggested dose out and test between doses.
It is the PH change the large dose will cause that can harm stuff.
But pods and bacteria are tough so if done as several doses a few hours apart I think they will be fine.

Last edited:

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Even though it doesn't sound like you have coral and fish yet I would slowly increase the KH over couple of weeks.
If you raise it too fast it will throw of all your other parameters as well as KH has a direct affect on pH.

Just slow and study in my opinion

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
It's a 3 week old tank with some rocks.
In any case only add up to 80% of your calculated dose before you let it sit at least 12 hours and then recalculate the final one. There is nothing to use it up if you go over. I would still try to be a tiny bit lower than the tank you are going to hook to it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back