How fast can I raise my magnesium level?

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pretty lazy with testing lately and I almost never test for mag anyway. Needless to say I had an alk spike and ended up testing everything when I got home today. My mag dropped to 1170 and I want to get it up to 1300 or so. It will take around 1000ml of solution to get it there. How much can I dose in a day?

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. It is about 1ml/gal per day. That is the max. I would do 10ml per hour until you reach the max. Test daily to see what the level is.

Mr.Brightside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is hard to overdose but 10PPM is the MAX per day if we're going by the book. For Calcium it would be 20PPM and Alkalinity it would be 1.4dKH or 0.5 meq/L.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concern with raising magnesium fast is not the magnesium itself, but rather potential impurities in it (ammonia, other metals, etc.). :)

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raised mine 200ppm in one dose before. This was accidental as I was targeting 100pm per day x 2 days as recommended by AF. But somehow the calculator was off and I didn't need the 2nd dose. It went up 200ppm with the single dose. This was with AF Mag so hopefully it's a "cleaner" product and thus the lower impurities that Randy mentioned was the concern.

I think the smaller recommendation is just precautionary. Case in point, imagine that I went with the calculator and dumped the whole thing in.. I would have raised my Mg 400ppm in one sitting.

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the calculator I use and it gives you warnings on how much to dose.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
thank you so much for this! I've been using the BRS calculator but it doesn't provide enough options for different products. it's either BRS liquid or dry chloride or sulfate and a couple of others. This lists red sea mag and gave me a much more accurate dosage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back