How fast has your scoly grown?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a button scoly coming from ASD and was just curious on growth rate. I know it’s tank dependent but was just curious how quickly yours grew.

Before and After pics are welcome if you have them :)

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a button scoly coming from ASD and was just curious on growth rate. I know it’s tank dependent but was just curious how quickly yours grew.

Hey there!

Scoly growth is pretty tricky. They really don't build their skeleton very fast in captivity. On top of that, the button scolys are among the smallest of all scolymia species. In our experience, there is a good chance you can get the tissue to stretch to be double or triple skeleton size within a few months in stable conditions. The longer and more consistent you keep that tissue happy, the more likely and more quickly you will see skeleton growth. Best practice is to feed the scoly and keep your water parameters stable. Keep it away from any Euphyllia, acropora, or galaxia. These are just some of my insights on this topic, wish I had pictures to share. Attached are some healthy scolys I have in stock right now though. Hope this finds you well!

All the best,

Gavin

Attachments

• Bleeding Apple Scolymia 1.JPG
    Bleeding Apple Scolymia 1.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Bleeding Apple Scolymia 2.JPG
    Bleeding Apple Scolymia 2.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 34
  • Warpaint Scolymia 4.JPG
    Warpaint Scolymia 4.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry follow up question, so does anyone know how big the button scolys actually get when”full grown” or are they just baby scolys and growth is so slow they stay small in the home aquarium?

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry follow up question, so does anyone know how big the button scolys actually get when”full grown” or are they just baby scolys and growth is so slow they stay small in the home aquarium?
“Button scoly’s” are actually Micromussa Pacifica - they will not get near the same size as a scoly (Homophyllia australis). Vendors stick the scoly name on m.Pacifica so they can sell them for more money IMO.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the answer! So since they’re micromussa, should they spread like other micros or do they generally stay solitary?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am thinking of buying one from them on their 30 percent off sale. How is yours doing?

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of buying one from them on their 30 percent off sale. How is yours doing?
Mine ended up dying due to my own negligence. Had a hair algae outbreak that smothered it a few months after I got it. I haven’t gotten another as I’m leaning more SPS now.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ended up dying due to my own negligence. Had a hair algae outbreak that smothered it a few months after I got it. I haven’t gotten another as I’m leaning more SPS now.
Aww thats to bad! Its happened to me b4 too! Goodluck with sps. I am dipping my toes in some lower light one as I dont have nearly enough par for acros or anything!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back