how fast will phosguard drop phosphates

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe but i am hopeful it was just that 1 rock that was only in like 1 or 2 weeks on another note my phosphate is from 0.6 to 0.21 in 24 hours i love phosguard and would recommend it to any 1

lol

I don't love it, but it does work to reduce phosphate. So do other methods, such as GFO and lanthanum.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't they require a skimmer and a reactor though?

No skimmer needed.

GFO (a particle media) functions like aluminum oxide particles (such as phosguard). Being smaller particles, it can work best in a reactor that tumbles it, but it can also be mixed with GAC in a normal filter.

Lanthanum chloride solution is a liquid you dose. No reactors used.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer needed.

GFO (a particle media) functions like aluminum oxide particles (such as phosguard). Being smaller particles, it can work best in a reactor that tumbles it, but it can also be mixed with GAC in a normal filter.

Lanthanum chloride solution is a liquid you dose. No reactors used.
don't you need something to take the particles out from the liquid? i don't have filter socks are anything and i took the sponge out of my fluval evo 13.5

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well guess it is still leaching out back up to 0.27 replaced the phosguard and added again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't you need something to take the particles out from the liquid? i don't have filter socks are anything and i took the sponge out of my fluval evo 13.5

People usually dose upstream if socks, but I'm not certain if that is needed or not.

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with high phosphates for over 6 months, constantly using Rowaphos, the best reading I’ve had is 0.6. Tested today and I’m back up to 0.8. I have sand and the aquascape was made with non live rock, I have mainly soft corals, the tank looks great but some corals are showing signs of stress and losing some flesh. I feed Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and frozen Misis occasionally. My question is, In the past I have placed the rowaphos in a media bag before my Tunze skimmer, which is just as the water enters the filtration of my setup, should I place the media sock just before the return pump? Your help is much appreciated

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with high phosphates for over 6 months, constantly using Rowaphos, the best reading I’ve had is 0.6. Tested today and I’m back up to 0.8. I have sand and the aquascape was made with non live rock, I have mainly soft corals, the tank looks great but some corals are showing signs of stress and losing some flesh. I feed Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and frozen Misis occasionally. My question is, In the past I have placed the rowaphos in a media bag before my Tunze skimmer, which is just as the water enters the filtration of my setup, should I place the media sock just before the return pump? Your help is much appreciated
overdose phosguard dropped mine from 0.3 to 0.1 in few days keep testing though as it wares out quickly

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, depending on how much flow you get through your PhosGard, it is spent in about 4-5 days (at the levels you're dealing with). Just keep changing it out every 5 days and you'll get there.

I run it when I need to get phosphates back in check, but ONLY then, and I never leave it in my tank longer than 5 days.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, depending on how much flow you get through your PhosGard, it is spent in about 4-5 days (at the levels you're dealing with). Just keep changing it out every 5 days and you'll get there.

I run it when I need to get phosphates back in check, but ONLY then, and I never leave it in my tank longer than 5 days.
5 days? mine was exhausted after like 12 hours

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back