How hard is it to make a screen lid

TinyWood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has a glass lid (I assume it's better to have a screen for light penetration I'd like to hear opinions on that if you have one) but onto the original question how hard is it to build a screen that doesn't look like a guy with very limited DIY skills built it

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you need is right at your local HD, or Lowes, and way cheaper then BRS.

It's actually quite easy to do. Cut the lengths you need out of the frame(hacksaw, dremel, chopsaw, etc), slide plastic corners in place, add screen, stretch tight, and add spline with roller tool to hold in place.

Yes glass tops most certainly block light if not kept very clean(salt creep, fogging, etching, etc). They also block gas exchange at the waters surface.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the parts and put together screen tops. Not difficult at all. Just remember the general rule to measure twice before you cut. I can't say I did a perfect job cosmetically, but nobody looks at the lid.

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like homer said, go to your local hardware store and purchase a screen kit, you'll need a hacksaw or equivalent,a box cutter and a spline roller I did purchase the screen here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/1-8-clear-netting.html It will be much cheaper if you do it yourself, good luck. Oh and you'll want to pick up the spline also at the hardware store.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insect screening. It's smaller then 1/4", but I measured with a par meter and so no loss in par over the 1/4" netting BRS sells.

Just make sure you get the fiberglass screen and not the metal.
I think that BRS did a test of the 1/4" versus 1/8" screening and found no significant difference in light penetration between the two. I went for the 1/8" just to prevent some larger particles from getting into tank. In my crazy mind I think it stops more dog fur than the 1/4".

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you need is right at your local HD, or Lowes, and way cheaper then BRS.

It's actually quite easy to do. Cut the lengths you need out of the frame(hacksaw, dremel, chopsaw, etc), slide plastic corners in place, add screen, stretch tight, and add spline with roller tool to hold in place.

Yes glass tops most certainly block light if not kept very clean(salt creep, fogging, etching, etc). They also block gas exchange at the waters surface.
Glass tops block less than 5% of PAR, and gas exchange is a complete non issue in a tank with a skimmer or sump. I clean mine less than once a month, and the PAR loss is negligible.

If people are looking for an affordable and easy lid, glass lids are absolutely the easiest and cheapest. Screen lids are fine if people prefer them but glass shouldnt be overlooked.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy to make, hard to make it look clean and professional long term. The joints seem to always loosen for me over time as the plastic joints and screen stretch a little, and the joints are salt creep magnets. Require frequent cleaning if not in a hood.

But, its much cheaper than acrylic fabricated lids, better than glass, and well worth the potential eyesore by not loosing fish.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your tank is nano, long term the DIY version with window screen materials is going to fall apart. And it looks like junk. Best money I have EVER spent in this hobby was for a custom made acrylic frame screen lid for my 180 gallon display tank. Looks great, has lasted three years so far, fits my tank like a glove.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass tops block less than 5% of PAR, and gas exchange is a complete non issue in a tank with a skimmer or sump.

I agree. I have used glass tops in the past without issue, as long as I cleaned the glass regularly, as you indicated.

My current tank is free standing (not against a wall) and everything, including the sump, is in the stand. I went with a sump that is covered to keep the moisture levels down in the stand, especially since I have the electrical equipment in the same stand.
IMG_0501.jpeg

I can report that the skimmer alone can provide sufficient gas exchange. In the winter when the house is colder, I use the glass tops to cut down on evaporation into the very dry home environment. However, in the summer with the house warmer, I switch to the screens to help keep the tank cool through increased evaporation and air flow over the tank.

Conclusion is that you can use either solution to cover your display adequately. As to cost, I would say that the screening kits are significantly less than the cost of a glass top, especially as you get into larger tanks.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I have used glass tops in the past without issue, as long as I cleaned the glass regularly, as you indicated.

My current tank is free standing (not against a wall) and everything, including the sump, is in the stand. I went with a sump that is covered to keep the moisture levels down in the stand, especially since I have the electrical equipment in the same stand.
IMG_0501.jpeg

I can report that the skimmer alone can provide sufficient gas exchange. In the winter when the house is colder, I use the glass tops to cut down on evaporation into the very dry home environment. However, in the summer with the house warmer, I switch to the screens to help keep the tank cool through increased evaporation and air flow over the tank.

Conclusion is that you can use either solution to cover your display adequately. As to cost, I would say that the screening kits are significantly less than the cost of a glass top, especially as you get into larger tanks.
Nice sump. As far as cost, I think you may be using different glass than me... window glass from HD is dirt cheap, around $10 a piece. Are you using something thicker?

But yeah, great point about taking them off in the summer. Its one of the things I like about glass, we can turn the evaporation on or off at will by taking lids off. With a mesh lid the evaporation is always on, and I'd never get a break from refilling the ATO.

musicsmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one of the $15 screen kits from Lowe's. Remember to get the roller tool for 3 bucks. You'll want that.

For the screening, I ordered some clear netting from Amazon, but I eventually replaced it with some black netting from BRS. I thought the clear would be harder to see, but it reflects more than the black.

Cutting it is easy with a hacksaw (fine tooth blade) or dremmel. I actually used a band saw, and it worked really well.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aluminum window framing from Lowe’s. 1/8th cleqr screen mesh from BRS. And 3d print outs of the feed doors, light stand cut outs and cord cut outs from @Dierks here on reef2reef

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back