How hard is sps?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ignoring Acropora how hard is a SPS?
SPS like Monti, Pocillopora, Stylo, and such are actually really easy! Just keep stable parameters and it should be good. I know Monti thrive in higher Magnesium but can thrive in almost any tank.

OP
OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both grow a calcium carbonate skeleton, so I think they're equal enough in hardness unlike soft corals like mushrooms and leathers.

Bad dad joke but I had
You had me laughing hard. Can answer my question about general hardness aka gh??

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a whole spectrum of difficulty in SPS. Ranging from moderate to extremely hard. If you have stable parameters and dose or supplement ca and alk. Shouldn't be a problem with easier sps. Some of the difficulty sps you need to monitor much more such as nutrients, elements, ect.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The several acros i had, were just as good at growing as any monti I've kept. Worst thing about most acropora, when problems arise in a tank. They're the first to go.

If you can care for monti digitata, there are some acro species in the trade just as stable.

How difficult is monti digi?
5/10 difficulty.

Montipora red capricorn
3/10 super easy...

Acro Miyagi tort 5/10
And a look alike that's just as forgiving.

Unknown acro frag that survived a dino onslaught.
20240407_174033.jpg

Tl;dr
Don't pass on acroporas that have been long in the trade if you can grow digitatas well.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both grow a calcium carbonate skeleton, so I think they're equal enough in hardness unlike soft corals like mushrooms and leathers.

Bad dad joke but I had to:)

If you hadn't, I would have. Thanks for taking on the hard jobs!

@reef guy 56, you should always test for your most important parameters. For reef aquariums, those parameters are:

Salinity
Alkalinity
PH
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrate
Phosphate
Temperature

This will be true if you're keeping any corals, but it's very important with SPS corals. You should be testing daily when you're first starting out to get a handle on things, then at least weekly once you understand how your reef changes.

It's also helpful to have a copper test that you can use from time to time, especially if any invertebrates start mysteriously dying. Copper can sometimes get into your system even if you use an RO/DI system, so many people will just run something like Cuprisorb or ChemiPure Blue to absorb any copper that might be present.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back