how high is to high alk.

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i checked my alk this morn and it was at 13.8 i now that high should i do a water change or just let it slowly come down my tank is a 180 gall. my water prameters are
ph 8.0
alk 13.8
cal.450
mag 1320
thanks for any advise

ScottyMcReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i once had an 11 and just slowly let it go down, of course i have only a 29 BC, but it did hit a solid 8 or 9 after 2 weeks.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it as high as 13 and I did water changes like normal. It balanced out in a couple weks. I used a different salt with a high ALK when I did my upgrade, so that's where my spike came from. Do you know where your's orininated ? If it's going to be off, better high then low I am told.

OP
OP
N

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the. Seachem ph raiser to 8.3 because my ph was at 7.6 I used te Rec doasage and thoughts the only thing I did

OP
OP
N

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk

I use the. Seachem ph raiser to 8.3 because my ph was at 7.6 I used te Rec doasage and thoughts the only thing I did

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why that happened to you but It should be ok if it starts to come down soon. Go ahead and do a water change, can't hurt. If the additive could have been the only possible culprit then I would suggest trying a different one. High ALK is not as bad as some think. I have read on here about ALK being around 18 and things were still alive. My two week experience kind of freaked me out a little but it was ok in the end. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
N

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks ill stop dosing and keep checking my water parameters the do a water change

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't use any chemicals to raise pH.

IMHO a properly balanced aquarium (with plant life) will have pH above 8 and probably above 8.4 (purple with the api high range test kit). Simply because the plant life (corraline/mocro algaes) are consuming the carbon dioxide in the tank.

So to raise pH I would expand the algae.

my .02

Last edited:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got up to 16 at one time and lps definitely didnt like it. I used a different salt with lower dkh to slowly lower it over a month.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To raise ph expand with algae what type and form to do this
to be (hopefully) more helpful one good way is a refugium with chaetomorphia. Or an algae truf scrubber.

But actually just letting all that ugly stuff grow on the sides an back of the tank will help also.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back