How I beat ich without QT

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich, one of the most frustrating things in this hobby. It made me almost quit this hobby several times. It almost seems impossible to eradicate. But I just want to make a quick forum explaining what I did to control it without QT or medications.

I once put a $250 very nice sohal tang into my 150g tank, and it of course, had ich. After 1 week, every fish in my tank had signs of ich. I had no idea what to do, and like anyone, came onto reef2reef and asked what to do. People said to setup a qt and get a copper based medication. I set it up, but didn’t really know what I was doing. I lost a few fish in the process, even the sohal. I let the tank sit fallow for 80 Days like most recommended. Then I put the fish back in to the DT, and the next day, my “Big blue” large blue hippo tang had many ich spots. The qt failed, so I tried doing it again. I waited another 80 days fallow, but the same thing happened. I did one more attempt, 80 days, and ich came right back. I tried many medications, polyp lab, imagitarium, etc. But if anything it just got worse. I heard overfeeding high nutritious foods allows the fish to build up their immunity, preventing ich from attaching. I seriously thought this was BS! But was out of options. Someone recommended Rods foods soaked in Vitachem. So I tried this, everyday I fed 2-3 large feedings. And after a few weeks, I saw measurable improvement. After 30 days, I had 0 signs of ich. I wish I could have told myself this before I tried to QT. I could have prevented the loss of many of my prized fish. Sorry If this was long, I just needed to share for anyone that needs info with combating ich. Hope this helps!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If QT is not a option, then, I would buy from @tsmaquatics. I do have the option, and, have QT'd fish in the past. It can be such a pain when work and life comes into play. That's were TSM Aquatics and the like come into play. They do the QT'ing for you. You may pay a little more up front, but, when factoring in the cost and pain of QT'ing, are you really paying more. I simply float and dump my fish now. ;) :)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be honest... A little let down by this thread. I was expecting an animated meme that billy clubbed ich.

But otherwise, joking aside, glad it worked out for you :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7?! Dang! Yep totally agree. Ive been ich free for over 2 years.
The guy from the shop still jokes about it, as I had to downsize, the fattest hypo tang and the fattest CB he ever saw in he’s career as a shopkeeper.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that ich will die out from overbreeding themselves in 4 years without any introductions of new ich?

I think I read this somewhere and I want to fact check it.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If QT is not a option, then, I would buy from @tsmaquatics. I do have the option, and, have QT'd fish in the past. It can be such a pain when work and life comes into play. That's were TSM Aquatics and the like come into play. They do the QT'ing for you. You may pay a little more up front, but, when factoring in the cost and pain of QT'ing, are you really paying more. I simply float and dump my fish now. ;) :)
And they keep their water at normal salinity as that cause stress. I’m lucky to have them local

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they keep their water at normal salinity as that cause stress. I’m lucky to have them local
I am glad I don't...I would be BROKE!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t take them long to learn what you want so they put fish you want next to others you didn’t know about. Some fish never hit the website.
They know what I want, I am just waiting on a phone call...LOL!!!

Rhomboid and Lineatus wrasse.;Jawdrop;Jawdrop;Jawdrop

They are willing to take the risk of some fragile fish in QT, and that is enough for me. I am not willing to put a several hundred dollar fish thru QT after loosing 2 Diamond Tail Fairy Wrasses after they went thru QT and were in the observation phase.

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They know what I want, I am just waiting on a phone call...LOL!!!

Rhomboid and Lineatus wrasse.;Jawdrop;Jawdrop;Jawdrop

They are willing to take the risk of some fragile fish in QT, and that is enough for me. I am not willing to put a several hundred dollar fish thru QT after loosing 2 Diamond Tail Fairy Wrasses after they went thru QT and were in the observation phase.
Agree. Seeing what they do behind the scene is very impressive. They are modest when they talk. And their fish eat.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that ich will die out from overbreeding themselves in 4 years without any introductions of new ich?

I think I read this somewhere and I want to fact check it.
Ive never heard of this. I know the population shrinks over time but never fully gets eradicated. Not sure though.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich, one of the most frustrating things in this hobby. It made me almost quit this hobby several times. It almost seems impossible to eradicate. But I just want to make a quick forum explaining what I did to control it without QT or medications.

I once put a $250 very nice sohal tang into my 150g tank, and it of course, had ich. After 1 week, every fish in my tank had signs of ich. I had no idea what to do, and like anyone, came onto reef2reef and asked what to do. People said to setup a qt and get a copper based medication. I set it up, but didn’t really know what I was doing. I lost a few fish in the process, even the sohal. I let the tank sit fallow for 80 Days like most recommended. Then I put the fish back in to the DT, and the next day, my “Big blue” large blue hippo tang had many ich spots. The qt failed, so I tried doing it again. I waited another 80 days fallow, but the same thing happened. I did one more attempt, 80 days, and ich came right back. I tried many medications, polyp lab, imagitarium, etc. But if anything it just got worse. I heard overfeeding high nutritious foods allows the fish to build up their immunity, preventing ich from attaching. I seriously thought this was BS! But was out of options. Someone recommended Rods foods soaked in Vitachem. So I tried this, everyday I fed 2-3 large feedings. And after a few weeks, I saw measurable improvement. After 30 days, I had 0 signs of ich. I wish I could have told myself this before I tried to QT. I could have prevented the loss of many of my prized fish. Sorry If this was long, I just needed to share for anyone that needs info with combating ich. Hope this helps!
This is called managing ich. only problem is if something changes the entire tank can get ich again. If you tried it numerous time i would say managing it shouldnt be a issue at all. I've done it before and sometimes ill see it come back but the fishes immunity is stronger now so they can fight it off. Trying qt for the first time now. wish me luck lol

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is called managing ich. only problem is if something changes the entire tank can get ich again. If you tried it numerous time i would say managing it shouldnt be a issue at all. I've done it before and sometimes ill see it come back but the fishes immunity is stronger now so they can fight it off. Trying qt for the first time now. wish me luck lol
Obviously I know this is managing ich, duh. But In my eyes, it's the same thing. Some say every tank has some stage of ich in it. It just all depends on how healthy your fish is. I still completely believe in qt as I still qt every new fish I recieve for 3 weeks minimum. But did it work for me during the fallow period? no. The scary disease I dont want is velvet or even flukes. I've learned ich is not as scary as many think. Becuase most dont know how to control it so they end up quickly making a qt then losing all there fish. I went through that h*ll 3 times in a row and it didn't change a thing for me. Lost dozens of $100+ fish in the process and thats why I wish I could go back in time and tell myself this. Ive now have had 0 ich symptoms for over 2 years now, and not once has it come back. This forum was me sharing my experience and maybe one who is going through ich will learn how to help eradicate if qt isnt working.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I know this is managing ich, duh. But In my eyes, it's the same thing. Some say every tank has some stage of ich in it. It just all depends on how healthy your fish is. I still completely believe in qt as I still qt every new fish I recieve for 3 weeks minimum. But did it work for me during the fallow period? no. The scary disease I dont want is velvet or even flukes. I've learned ich is not as scary as many think. Becuase most dont know how to control it so they end up quickly making a qt then losing all there fish. I went through that h*ll 3 times in a row and it didn't change a thing for me. Lost dozens of $100+ fish in the process and thats why I wish I could go back in time and tell myself this. Ive now have had 0 ich symptoms for over 2 years now, and not once has it come back. This forum was me sharing my experience and maybe one who is going through ich will learn how to help eradicate if qt isnt working.
DUH? Im just trying to clarify things since your'e trying to teach others how to eradicate ich from your tank. Do you understand the word eradicate?

cthetoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That is dedication for 3 rounds of 80 day. I would of given up. I too had an ich problem as well. I ended up somewhat like what you did. I also put a UV in my tank. The UV does not cure but it helps managing the ich population. Everytime my UV bulb goes out my ich reappears even without adding a new fish.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUH? Im just trying to clarify things since your'e trying to teach others how to eradicate ich from your tank. Do you understand the word eradicate?
Relax man. I didn’t ask for you to comment on my thread and start a fight. Of course I know why eradicate means. You didn’t clarify anything. I’m confused why your even here…

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back