How I beat ich without QT

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not ich-free, you are managing ich. You suppressed it with good husbandry. It will always return at some point. But you might get lucky and it might not ever be a major problem.
Exactly, he didn’t beat Ich. It’s still in the system.

Management works as long as the fish aren’t stressed.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That is dedication for 3 rounds of 80 day. I would of given up. I too had an ich problem as well. I ended up somewhat like what you did. I also put a UV in my tank. The UV does not cure but it helps managing the ich population. Everytime my UV bulb goes out my ich reappears even without adding a new fish.
You can probably imagine the temptation of me quitting the hobby all together. Lost so many awesome fish… But now I have a very healthy and beautiful tank. Oh yeah I did tried UV, it seemed to help too.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, he didn’t beat Ich. It’s still in the system.

Management works as long as the fish aren’t stressed.
What? I literally did beat ich. It’s no longer attaching to any of my fish. Of course it’s still in the system, but it’s not on anything.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that ich will die out from overbreeding themselves in 4 years without any introductions of new ich?

I think I read this somewhere and I want to fact check it.
I’ve never heard of this happening. When Ich is in a system it’s in there for good. The only way to eradicate it is to remove the hosts (fish) and leave the tank fallow until it completes its life cycle. The affected fish must also be treated.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? I literally did beat ich. It’s no longer attaching to any of my fish. Of course it’s still in the system, but it’s not on anything.
Yeah, but it can come back later on. This is the reason why most people try to avoid letting it in the system at all. Ever heard of that “mysterious fish death.” It goes something like this on every forum

*EMERGENCY*

“Help, my flasher wrasse is missing.” “ I woke up this morning and he is not in the tank.” “I looked behind all the rocks and he’s not anywhere.” “What do you guys think happened to him?”

When I QT and treat all new arrivals I never have mystery fish deaths. The fish I add all stay in the tank for years.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations.
Welcome to the dark side. My best advice is to enjoy your success quietly because pointing out it can be done causes angry discussions to ensue.

I think those of you that think you are keeping ich out of your tank are probably as successful as people are at keeping aiptasia out. Aiptasia are just easy to see.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations.
Welcome to the dark side. My best advise is to enjoy your success quietly because pointing out it can be done causes angry discussions to ensue.

I think those of you that think you are keeping ich out of your tank are probably as successful as people are at keeping aiptasia out. Aiptasia are just easy to see.
The good thing is that he has it suppressed for now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this video. Most bigger fish like tangs tolerate it fairly well. Smaller fish (depending on species) are more likely to struggle with it. It just depends on the system volume and how well the fish are fed. You have to boost their immune systems. :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this thread as: I set up a bad qt process, killed fish, now I’m against qt, recommending it for everyone, and have only my tank to report but realize nothing in the fish disease forum backs any of this.

I was thinking the qt setup was bad because of killed fish vs exceptionally built quarantines that maintained them
they’re found in the fish disease forum. Bad idea due to low repeatability, tempts those who don’t want to do the work to prevent fish disease using best methods avail

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
…..bare bottoms, no water changes, no quarantine, ich, et et…
I dunno, 50yrs + my eyes have seen success and fail on both sides of these arguable practices and I’ve tried them all…
… regardless your risk tolerance drops and practices adjust once you loose a tank full or two of 5yr and 7yr old fish

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey, I’d personally prefer to manage ich — but I think if I had a bunch of fish like tangs id feel differently. UV, oxydator, well fed on high quality diet, and keep stress to a minimum can work to keep it from becoming an issue. I also like Seachem’s Stess Guard which does help w/slime coat and has an antiseptic (not the same product as api stress coat). Plus building a good ecosystem from the start and practicing good husbandry is the key to managing pretty much anything.

But I understand the value of QT and have used it myself. Just saying if ich managed to show up for me I would prefer to manage rather than pull the fish and stress them. Brook or velvet, different story.

I think in the end folks benefit from hearing all the ways others deal with stuff. Would I suggest managing ich be a recommended approach to all in the disease forum? Nope. We know what’s recommended. Knowing that management can be done is a nice to know tho. QT is a big barrier to folks getting into the hobby — I wish it didn’t have to be this way.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this thread as: I set up a bad qt process, killed fish, now I’m against qt, recommending it for everyone, and have only my tank to report but realize nothing in the fish disease forum backs any of this.

I was thinking the qt setup was bad because of killed fish vs exceptionally built quarantines that maintained them
they’re found in the fish disease forum. Bad idea due to low repeatability, tempts those who don’t want to do the work to prevent fish disease using best methods avail
Hah you must be fun at partys, Brandon. You have no idea what you are talking about. When did I ever say it was a bad qt process? or against qt? Like I said before, im completely with qt. I still qt every fish for 3 weeks minimum through my 65g qt. I know for a fact you, and every other reefer, have made hundreds of mistakes in this hobby. So no ones perfect! This whole forum was discussing my experience with ich and qt and ONLY my experience. The qt procedure was correct, and had all my copper levels correct. But as I was a beginer back then, and didnt know half the knowlegde I know now. So I ended up losing many fish but thats this hobby. This forum was just to share to some who may be going through this, becuase it seems that almost everyone exeriences at least once in this hobby. I completely think a qt and fallow period is a good way to eradicate ich, but sometimes it just doesnt work. One of my buddys had ich blow up in his tank, and tried qt for 8 months. And not even kidding, it came right back. But anyways, dont bother responding to this and ruin my morning even further.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert on ich because my fish have never had it even once since I started saltwater in 2007.
I will defer to the experts who seem to get it over and over again. I am sure they know more about it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert on ich because my fish have never had it even once since I started saltwater in 2007.
I will defer to the experts who seem to get it over and over again. I am sure they know more about it.
I feel the sarcasm!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ich in my 180. Lost 3 fish to it before I recognized it and treated it. Since that tank is fish only, I simply treated the entire tank. All fish are fine now and nothing added since has caused a new attack. Managed ich, eradicated ich, got rid of ich, hidden ich... blah blah blah.. quit b**ing semantics. I have healthy fish and that is all I care about!!!

Edit: I also no longer patronize that LFS that I got the contaminated fish from (patient zero) lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your tank is okay now.

Honestly you may have lost a bunch of fish even if you started feeding better immediately. If fish are so sick from ich they can’t even survive QT then they are pretty dang sick. Perhaps the weakest died and the strong remain.

People have certainly had outbreaks even when feeding the best foods. It’s not fool proof but obviously fallowing a tank isn’t either. Three times at 80 days would have drove me insane.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back