How I do frozen food

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways that I see on how folks deal with their frozen food. This is how I have been doing it for the last 20 years, not that anyone asked me. I take a variety of foods - this time it's chopped krill, spirulina brine shrimp, spirulina mysis (a new one for me), emerald entree, and cyclops. It varies depending on what I have bought and I purposely change it up, but it always has brine and mysis. One cube of each kind of food goes in small plastic containers, and back in the freezer it goes. No it doesn't have time to thaw while I do this. One container will last my tank about 3 days, I store it in the fridge when not feeding. This is an easy way to have a variety of food ready to go when it's time to feed the reef with little effort. Seems to work well for my fish, anemone, and corals - they all eat it. I should have taken the pics last time I filled the containers, the mixture had more colors and was prettier. Happy reefing!

IMG_0718.JPEG

IMG_0719.JPEG

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways that I see on how folks deal with their frozen food. This is how I have been doing it for the last 20 years, not that anyone asked me.

Well it would be a pretty boring forum if we only posted when someone asked so thanks for sharing! Seems you have good process there.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many ways that I see on how folks deal with their frozen food. This is how I have been doing it for the last 20 years, not that anyone asked me. I take a variety of foods - this time it's chopped krill, spirulina brine shrimp, spirulina mysis (a new one for me), emerald entree, and cyclops. It varies depending on what I have bought and I purposely change it up, but it always has brine and mysis. One cube of each kind of food goes in small plastic containers, and back in the freezer it goes. No it doesn't have time to thaw while I do this. One container will last my tank about 3 days, I store it in the fridge when not feeding. This is an easy way to have a variety of food ready to go when it's time to feed the reef with little effort. Seems to work well for my fish, anemone, and corals - they all eat it. I should have taken the pics last time I filled the containers, the mixture had more colors and was prettier. Happy reefing!

IMG_0718.JPEG

IMG_0719.JPEG
Love your approach! Wish I had freezer space.

Instead this is what I do (very similar concept), I just shave down each cube and repackage so each meal/cube is re-combined with my mix(es). I work fast to keep it frozen, use a paring knife with serrated edge (not super sharp - edge of photo):

foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I was thinking about today! I plan to make my own food too, and really prefer cubes. I've heard mixed reviews about mini ice cube trays as a method though - how do you make yours? How long do you freeze before transferring to the containers? I love this idea - prefer it to keeping in bags (even if it takes up a bit more freezer space). Also, do you move say a week's worth to the fridge so you have it thawed and ready or do you just do it one at a time as needed? Want to keep them as fresh as possible (and not annoy significant other with any fishy food smell in the fridge, lol). TIA!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your approach! Wish I had freezer space.

Instead this is what I do (very similar concept), I just shave down each cube and repackage so each meal/cube is re-combined with my mix(es). I work fast to keep it frozen, use a paring knife with serrated edge (not super sharp - edge of photo):

foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG
Am I the only one that thinks this actually looks kind of good? As in appetizing good.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, see my diy recipe and the process involved and you will think otherwise. Ugh the smells...

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0718.JPEG

IMG_0719.JPEG
I do this as well, except I use cheap condiment bottles from walmart. Put in the cubes, sometimes add some freeze dried mysis or black worms. When I take one out to thaw in the fridge, I'll often add selcon, garlic or a bit of canned cyclops (not everytime). The vitamins soak into the dry foods. Then add tank or RO water and squirt into tank. 1 bottle lasts 2 or almost 3 days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back