How I spent my tax return

tc269

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow i was happy i bought a vortech with my return.. yours looks like it is much more fun lol

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you stay at? i went last summer and loved it. i also rented a charter boat and got some nice fish. was it to cold for you to dive or scuba the jesus of the abyss?or the other reefs? they were awesome

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the Jesus dive in the past. That's at the other end of the Keys though. We didn't dive at all this time, it was more of an 'exploring on our own' type trip. The locals were pretty bundled up. I did my snorkeling in a 3 mil wetsuit. Still, when I came out the water once I was so cold I could not stop shivering and my lips and fingers were blue. I would have done a dive or two, but the water was fairly murky and decided to put the money towards another fishing trip instead.

I had bought a flimsy water resistant cover for my DSLR, but couldn't stomach putting that camera in the water to get some coral pics. Right from shore I could see lots of brain corals and branching oculina. Some were bleached white, but most were surviving in the cold water. Really made me wonder why I lost so many SPS after my heater went out a while back. Those Florida corals aren't the flashiest, but they have to be pretty tough.

Last edited:

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the Jesus dive in the past. That's at the other end of the Keys though. We didn't dive at all this time, it was more of an 'exploring on our own' type trip. The locals were pretty bundled up. I did my snorkeling in a 3 mil wetsuit. Still, when I came out the water once I was so cold I could not stop shivering and my lips and fingers were blue.

I had bought a flimsy water resistant cover for my DSLR, but couldn't stomach putting that camera in the water to get some coral pics. Right from shore I could see lots of brain corals and branching oculina. Some were bleached white, but most were surviving in the cold water. Really made me wonder why I lost so many SPS after my heater went out a while back. Those Florida corals aren't the flashiest, but they have to be pretty tough.
awesome. ya i love the fishing down there. and the corals are cool also where did you stay? i was in key largo at the marriott bay

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya they were everywhere last summer huge parrot fish and tarpons everywhere, and barricudas. did you see any hammerheads? when i was there the locals said it was too hot and the sharks moved out
sweet place btw. didnt spend much time on long key but looks like a nice place to stay

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite problem - too cold! On our cancelled Everglades fishing excursion I was going to get a chance to go after sharks. It was 35mph winds though, so no dice. I caught a 5 foot blacktip about ten years ago and I've had the itch to catch another big shark though. Either that or a 'cuda or big tarpon. Next time around for sure...

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite problem - too cold! On our cancelled Everglades fishing excursion I was going to get a chance to go after sharks. It was 35mph winds though, so no dice. I caught a 5 foot blacktip about ten years ago and I've had the itch to catch another big shark though. Either that or a 'cuda or big tarpon. Next time around for sure...
i caught a 4 to 5 foot cuda when we were trolling for mahi mahi and black fin tuna. we were trolling the illmorada humps,they were tons of people paying to go shark fishing and bringing in 5 to 800 pound bull sharks in. they were huge!!

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! We got married down in IslaMorada. Great place. Small town-ish tourism. Not as flashy as the keys big resorts, which is nice depending on what you are going for.

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were between that town and Marathon and loved it. Heh, our goal with this one was to avoid the tourist traps. Aside from our day trip to Key West, I think we succeeded pretty well. We ate at every little local seafood shack we could find and checked out a ton of stuff 'off the map'.

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i wasnt into the tourist stuff.. we took a boat with us and did lots of fishing and diving.. it was awesome,best thing is the place we stayed had private docks for the boats.

D.J.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWEET PICS.....sorry i dont post much here!!!

that skeleton looks like a crucifix fish aka catfish skeletion....being from teh south we see this things on the beachs ALOT....pretty cool to collect...not for sure thats what it is but it resembles one...the large part is the skull where you find the "CRUCIFIX" part where they get their name..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back