how important is it to run carbon?

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to get a carbon/gfo reactor for my tank and I am wondering how important it really is. I currently use a kalk stirer and my understanding is that will participate phosphates so I am also unsure f i really need to run gfo as well

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon and GFO are two different things. GFO is good for taking out phosphates and carbon is good for polishing your water and taking out any bad chemicals.

CJ

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must haves? No... but it's like asking if a skimmer is a must have.. or if a plane is a must have for a 3,000 mile trip. It's not, but man will it make your life a lot more comfortable! ;)

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say that on a smaller system gfo and carbon are where it's at. for a larger system , carbon only just because running gfo would be really costly as you would have to use alot.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure people have ran sucessful tanks without it. As for me it is a must have. I would rank it more important than skimmer personally.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say that on a smaller system gfo and carbon are where it's at. for a larger system , carbon only just because running gfo would be really costly as you would have to use alot.

Why would it cost a lot? You dont even have to replace it often...

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wouldn't go so far as saying that carbon is a must have, I will say that I personally wouldn't run a tank without it. I like to think of the carbon as a little insurance policy on my aquarium. With all of household sprays,aerosol, detergent, etc its a good idea to run carbon. I have gone periods without carbon, and I could definitely tell the difference. Oh, and let's not forget about coral chemical warfare. While I don't know that's its been verified scientifically, but most users with mixed reefs will tell you that it helps combat chemical warfare between soft and hard corals.

For as little as it cost, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want to run carbon in a reef.

Sonny

Billgax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sonny nailed it, IMO. Cheap insurance. Makes me feel less paranoid about reaching in the tank, cleaning, etc, etc... Not a question of if to me... but how often and how much.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man if anything carbon does indeed prevent the chemical warfare between softies. Considering I have monti caps in a sea of toxic softies, they do very well thanks to my carbon reactor!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I wouldn't go so far as saying that carbon is a must have, I will say that I personally wouldn't run a tank without it. I like to think of the carbon as a little insurance policy on my aquarium. With all of household sprays,aerosol, detergent, etc its a good idea to run carbon. I have gone periods without carbon, and I could definitely tell the difference. Oh, and let's not forget about coral chemical warfare. While I don't know that's its been verified scientifically, but most users with mixed reefs will tell you that it helps combat chemical warfare between soft and hard corals.

For as little as it cost, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't want to run carbon in a reef.

Sonny

+1 This sums up exactly how i feel about carbon too. Honestly it one of those things that doesnt get alot of credit but it truely does help keep things running smooth.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely run carbon for the reasons listed. On the GFO, I would wait to see how my tank does. Especially if you have a refugium to grow macro algae, you may not need GFO. If you start seeing a lot of algae, then you would probably want to consider it.

CJ

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to elaborate on the precipitation of phosphate because of kalk in the water. This is true, but to a degree. While GFO isn't vital, or as vital as carbon IMO, I would still run it. It, like carbon, also functions as a preventative. For it's cost, it ain't bad at all for it's purpose. That and it does last a little longer than carbon does.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run a tank without both gfo and carbon. KW may precipitate out phosphates, but you need it removed from the system not sitting in the bottom waiting to be used by algae. Back to the basics.
Import/export
You need to export nutrients at the same rate they are imported.
Imports include feeding, impurities in additives, impurities in top off water, even airborn impurities that settle as dust. While some of these may seem minor over time they add up. Even the best skimmer only removes a small percentage. And so we use several different methods to fight the build up of nutrients. Water changes, skimmers, carbon, and phosphate removers each only remove a small percentage. But combined they come close to exporting what we import. I say close because not everyone is successful using these methods alone. Thats why carbon dosing and zeolite systems have become popular.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run both..GFO and carbon..being I have an open top system...even while vodka dosing...for me it has always been a good habit to be in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright well I ordered the brs duel reactor along with the best carbon and gfo they had. and of course a pump. I have always been wanting one but when I do my test my po4 comes out around.25 which i felt was good. I do run a sps tank and recently added a 2nd mp40 and new lights because i see them living but not so much growing. perhaps the lack of a carbon and gfo reactor is part of the problem

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a little late now, and this is just my opinion, but I use BRS' lowest grade GFO. Since I never have much phosphates anyway.. the lowest grade works well.

OP
OP
R

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a little late now, and this is just my opinion, but I use BRS' lowest grade GFO. Since I never have much phosphates anyway.. the lowest grade works well.

oh well. the cost difference was minimal and I guess better safe then sorry

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright well I ordered the brs duel reactor along with the best carbon and gfo they had. and of course a pump. I have always been wanting one but when I do my test my po4 comes out around.25 which i felt was good. I do run a sps tank and recently added a 2nd mp40 and new lights because i see them living but not so much growing. perhaps the lack of a carbon and gfo reactor is part of the problem

0.25ppm for your phosphates is pretty high, especially for an SPS tank. You really want it to be below 0.05ppm.

CJ

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back