how important is it to run carbon?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put my neck on the line and state I also think carbon polishes the water and helps keep it clear for better light penetration. I'm sure its a small percentage, but still a factor nonetheless.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is a very compelling reason NOT to run carbon. It is not expensive and fairly simple to integrate into your system. I think the benefits are many. From polishing water to removing chemical warfare between coral it is all good!

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run carbon and nothing bad is happening. I recently started running GFO, because I bit into the "phosphates HAVE to be this much" honestly I can't tell the difference. I like the idea of keeping it simple, chemicals are my last resort.

I mainly have LPS & SPS. A few Z's here and there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put my neck on the line and state I also think carbon polishes the water and helps keep it clear for better light penetration. I'm sure its a small percentage, but still a factor nonetheless.

:: Chops off Jcr's head :: Lies! Carbon does none of these things!

You have to understand I am bored right now waiting for my rocks to do their thing... and you opened the door.. and.. well.. there you have it. Man I am having a case of the mundays. ;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is reasons not to run carbon but the risks of not doing it out weigh them.... for one i remember a great article on carbon releasing and actually adding p04 to a aquarium fwiw....i can't remember if it was ust a select few or what but tests were done and shown carbon actually released small amounts of p04 into the water coloum....maybe i can find it.... regardless i run it on my tank along with gfo and vodka/.mb7

OP
OP
R

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is reasons not to run carbon but the risks of not doing it out weigh them.... for one i remember a great article on carbon releasing and actually adding p04 to a aquarium fwiw....i can't remember if it was ust a select few or what but tests were done and shown carbon actually released small amounts of p04 into the water coloum....maybe i can find it.... regardless i run it on my tank along with gfo and vodka/.mb7
I have read this also and my understanding is they all do this but the amount is fairly minuscule

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run carbon and nothing bad is happening. I recently started running GFO, because I bit into the "phosphates HAVE to be this much" honestly I can't tell the difference. I like the idea of keeping it simple, chemicals are my last resort.

I mainly have LPS & SPS. A few Z's here and there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

For the record if you dislike chemicals in your tank that is an incentive to use carbon not the other way around.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back