How important is light to fish (only) tank?

kingkapoor

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2019
Messages
206
Reaction score
110
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish only 15 gallon with a clown fish and damsels, total run time about a month now . although everything was taken from an established tank which has been running for a while.

Theres a pretty icky brown algae bloom going on. Will turning off the lights for 2-3 days hurt my fish?
 
A few days of blackout shouldn't bother the fish too much, but lets see what you're deeling with. Maybe we can help.
9D72022A-9438-4131-923E-82FC6DC7581E.jpeg
 
Kinda hard to tell, but looks like diatomes. How long has the tank been running? What do you have for a CUC? I really like the pillar look.
 
You say the tank has been up a month, it's likely diatoms which is a natural progression of the ugly faze of a new tank. Cerith snails are a big help with diatoms. A blackout will only put on hold the eventual ugly stages that all tanks go through. If you were planning on some macro algae addition like a refuge, now would be a good time to add it, I have found maco algae to help along this stage of the maturing of a tank.
 
Kinda hard to tell, but looks like diatomes. How long has the tank been running? What do you have for a CUC? I really like the pillar look.


Thanks! its been about a month'sih on a fresh setup alone standing, but like I said most of the rock and sand was taken from my 55 gallon tear down. I have two nassarius snails and 4-5 hermit crabs, and some random snail I got with the hermit crab by accident
 
Ugly phase, it will pass with quality water and soild parameters and time.
 
The fish won't care. They don't need more than ambient light.

But that ain't an algae problem.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new