Well cheap doesn't always mean better no. If you wanna spend the money you can get top of the line Orphek or even better a PAR meter and do your own analysis on the different lights for the particular needs you have. It all depends on your goal in this hobby. Is it to get the best color or best growth of corals which neither have totally to do with PAR values but a range of other variables.
My budget is probably the same as yours. I am not rich and spent over 1.5 years building my current build. The number one expense, lights for sure especially on a 6 foot tank and I really have not finished buying for this tank. I predict another 2 years of purchases before I get this tank where I want it as far as with monitoring equipment, wavemakers, other lights, livestock and unforseen items.
I will say this. For the money and we are talking 200 Canadian you can get a Noopsyche K7Pro II light a lot cheaper then others and you get a beautiful 12000 to 14000 k shimmer from these lights and I see growth already in just a month. I very much agree it is a super expensive hobby, DIY is a must if you are not super rich and if you are not a DIY guy then I would imagine it is very expensive for you. Take a look at my current build which is essentially finished but I am keeping open and adding pics as it matures. Maybe you can get some ideas in there. As well don't feel bad about not being DIY. I spent 15 years in construction and learned alot of techniques and ways to build so I have the experience. I also know what it is like not being great at something and being afraid of it and it is totally understandable. Anytime you have a DIY issue or wanna bounce ideas off someone I am always here to help.
One last note and this is one I am looking at, you can always build your own LED lights which would be cheaper if you buy the parts. I am looking at this possibility now. ;)