How important is ramp up > peak > ramp down?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily achieve a ramp up and ramp down with cheaper lights and timers if need be instead of spending on expensive lights. But now these days the programmable lights are getting better quality and cheaper so why not?
Cheap is such a relative term. If people want true incremental ramping on a smooth curve of 1% or less change between values, but enough power and spread to handle anything in the hobby, but also not require any diy, I personally wouldn’t consider just about any option on the market “cheap”. Based on my own budget anyway

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well cheap doesn't always mean better no. If you wanna spend the money you can get top of the line Orphek or even better a PAR meter and do your own analysis on the different lights for the particular needs you have. It all depends on your goal in this hobby. Is it to get the best color or best growth of corals which neither have totally to do with PAR values but a range of other variables.

My budget is probably the same as yours. I am not rich and spent over 1.5 years building my current build. The number one expense, lights for sure especially on a 6 foot tank and I really have not finished buying for this tank. I predict another 2 years of purchases before I get this tank where I want it as far as with monitoring equipment, wavemakers, other lights, livestock and unforseen items.

I will say this. For the money and we are talking 200 Canadian you can get a Noopsyche K7Pro II light a lot cheaper then others and you get a beautiful 12000 to 14000 k shimmer from these lights and I see growth already in just a month. I very much agree it is a super expensive hobby, DIY is a must if you are not super rich and if you are not a DIY guy then I would imagine it is very expensive for you. Take a look at my current build which is essentially finished but I am keeping open and adding pics as it matures. Maybe you can get some ideas in there. As well don't feel bad about not being DIY. I spent 15 years in construction and learned alot of techniques and ways to build so I have the experience. I also know what it is like not being great at something and being afraid of it and it is totally understandable. Anytime you have a DIY issue or wanna bounce ideas off someone I am always here to help.

One last note and this is one I am looking at, you can always build your own LED lights which would be cheaper if you buy the parts. I am looking at this possibility now. ;)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpb From the look of your current build though it looks to me like you both have the budget and the DIY experience. Excellent!
I do always forget about the noopsyche lights as they don’t seem to get as much fanfare around here. From the sound of it we are similar. It’s been an incremental build. I can get some functional things done with wood working, but electrical, heck no. I won’t touch it. I’d actually not be opposed to using an led setup if I designed and built it but I lack the skills and ambition for that kind of project

Wicky48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an electrician come in and put in another box and run lines. I would never do it myself because of insurance. Ya I do have to admit a large project of this size does test your love of the hobby. A couple of times I rethought doing it all together but had to finish because I'm a nut. Lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're incorrect - only because of this - think of 'the wild'. in our tanks the 'ramp up and down' comes from 'above' in the wild it goes from east to west - and minute by minute - certain parts of the coral goes from 'shadow' to 'full sun'. Its for this reason - I dont believe its 'important'.

I’ve thought quite a lot about this. Not sure it is that ‘simple’ though because you also have to account for angles of reflection/refraction as the light hits and then penetrates the water. Just because the rising sun is in the East doesn’t mean that the light beams retain that orientation when they reach the corals. Probably overthinking the whole thing (shocking, I know) and I’d generally agree with the view that ramp up/down isn’t particularly important, but I do think that the more you can replicate the native environment the better. I always liked, for example that metal halide bulbs come on slowly. Years ago I tried to have my HQI fixtures move up and over the tank. Great idea, not so great of an implementation.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I feel like God designed it like this for a reason. That said...I like the ramp up and down. I feel it is easier on the coral. Pure speculation though.

Who likes to wake up in the morning with somebody turning on a bright light? :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 158 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back