How is this idea?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK is this a bad idea? I think I have room in between my overflow and return pipe inside my overflow box to drill through the overflow box and position a Maxijet 1200 in there to blow water out into the DT in between the LR sort of like a mini closed loop? In this pic which is looking top down into the overflow box you can see the 2 holes in the overflow box and also you can see that the box itself has two layers for circulation so I would have to drill through them both.

DSCN2781.jpg

And this is a pic of the outside of the box. You can see two seperate sections of slits in the outside layer of it. I want to position the pumps centered in between the slits.

DSCN2780.jpg

Is this a good idea or will I be creating a problem?

arnaldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A+ ON STAND PIPES!!! IF YOU WANT YOU CAN ADD TO THE MAXIJETS A WAVE MAKER LIKE THE JBJ TO HAVE A RANDOM WATER MOVEMENT!!!:bigsmile:

justreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, dont think it will work. You will end up draining the tank to the lowest drill hole. If using a standpipe and make it water tight, you will still be pulling your tank water level to the top of stand pipe, Which will probably be a few more inches than what it is now. That could mean a whole lot of water depending on your tank size.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One slight problem I can see. The water coming into the overflow box will drag air bubbles or create air that would get sucked into the pump and make smaller air( micro bubbles) bubbles in the tank.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would do a lot better just hiding them in the rock work
or use something more like a Tunze rock (power head in a rock)

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hidden pumps in the rocks before and the problem is getting to them to clean them in the future.

I just thought this would be another good way to conceal more powerheads in the DT.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 120g and I already have a MP20 and a MP40 for each end of it. If I do any Vortech upgrade I will probably just do the MP20 to MP40 upgrade.

The tank isn't even set up yet so I really don't know what I will be looking at for flow.

One thing I am thinking about trying now is it looks like the intake of the MJ1200 is about 1/2" and I am possibly thinking of mounting the pumps in the overflows upside down and plumb in some pipes with 90deg elbows drilled through the top 1/3 of the overflow box and drawing water from the DT instead of the overflow box. The only downfalls to this that I can see is getting to the pump to work on in if it gets something jammed in the impeller or if the impeller breaks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back