How long before trusting new system and leaving for a few days ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new custom build system in the making as we speak. 110 gallons main display, bean animal, with a 50 gallons sump. It will be installed by the company building it.

I’ve never had a sump so I feel nervous about having to leave a few days for the holidays. I have researched and read that it takes time to adjust flow to reach stability. Lots of tweaking is sometimes required. I’ll be hundreds of miles away so an emergency would mean disaster.

I had planned to have everything set-up for next week, but it looks like it’s going to be delayed until at least the end of the month. That will leave me about 3 weeks, maybe less, to get familiar with the system and have it running smoothly.

Is that enough time for someone with no experience ? Should I ask to delay the installation after the holidays ?

Thanks !

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks is good. I was going to sat at least a week.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have even a decent overflow with a gate valve you can get it set within an hour. The tweaking you read about is typically all in one setups (RS) with ridiculous plumbing and valve choices.

Setting a normal overflow with a gate valve is simple.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’ve set up two systems and it takes all of about 5 min to dial in the main drain. Even quicker with a legit gate valve.

The object is to have no flow through the emergency drain, so adjust the gate valve on the main drain pipe until you don’t see anything (small bubbles) coming out of the emergency drain. At that point you’re good to go.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good time to make friends with a fellow local reefer! Pay them in coral, have them come check on the tank and report back to you

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have even a decent overflow with a gate valve you can get it set within an hour.
I should have something very decent and I do have a gate valve.

Honestly, I’ve set up two systems and it takes all of about 5 min to dial in the main drain. Even quicker with a legit gate valve.
I’m just not always that good at figuring stuff out. So if it took you 5 minutes, it might take me a week, lol !

Sounds like a good time to make friends with a fellow local reefer!
I do know one or two, but since it will be during the holidays, it’s a little bit trickier. People have lots to do, places to go, receptions to get ready for, etc.

If worse comes to worse, I’ll have to pay someone, which I’d like to avoid. Hopefully I’ll be good with the help of R2R ! :)

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have something very decent and I do have a gate valve.

I’m just not always that good at figuring stuff out. So if it took you 5 minutes, it might take me a week, lol !

I do know one or two, but since it will be during the holidays, it’s a little bit trickier. People have lots to do, places to go, receptions to get ready for, etc.

If worse comes to worse, I’ll have to pay someone, which I’d like to avoid. Hopefully I’ll be good with the help of R2R ! :)
I remember setting up my first tank. A Red Sea Reefer 250. Got it all plumbed and full of water. I had no idea where water was coming from and where it was going lol. Bubbles everywhere in the sump. Now I know that the drain valve needed to be adjusted. But it wasn’t until I figured out the basics of what was going on and the path that water was taking throughout the system, that I figured out that I needed to dial it in with the drain valve…that’s the part that took less than 5 min.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back