How long before you should see some sucess in coral growth.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When should you start to see something grow (instead of killing everything)? What I mean is with a brand new tank. Approximately how long before you start seeing some hint of successes and actual growth (like off the frag and onto sandbed or rocks.)

I watched the BRS ULM videos and realized I’m 4 months in. I have the simplest tank (max E-170) and no additional gear to screw things up other than an ATO. Shouldn’t I be seeing something actually grow by now?

I see the tanks in BRS videos for the experiments like the hybrid system (same equipment) and it seems like they are much further along in far less time. Don’t get me wrong all my failure turns into an abundance of knowledge. I am getting concerned I’m gonna loose interest with so much effort and so little success. (The most likely outcome I would go fish only and kiss all hopes of corals off).

Just a picture :).
Image may contain: plant, outdoor and water

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors that play into coral growth. Stability of parameters including temp and equipment like lights and their schedule are to me most important. Do you know your current tank parameters like the Ca, Alk, Mg, PO4 and nitrates? Also, some corals just take a long time to notice growth while others can become a nuisance.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time and don’t rush anything. Parameters have to be consistent. My tank is 3 months old and I have zoas growing like weeds But I’m on top of the details and lighting as best as I can be. And I get really good support from my local coral shop. @oceans corals in Mobile,Al

D0921875-2A30-4E85-B22D-AEE3E2B890AF.jpeg B047DD82-85CB-4903-91E5-1725C92E2FC4.jpeg 4A54166A-2BF4-4DDB-9A67-665986DBDE68.jpeg

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for a more general guide to tell me if I'm exceeding or developmentally delayed. Kind of like a pediatrician does for my kids.

My tank is stable and in the green zones from what I can tell. I attached an export from Aquarimate for reference.

45G AIO no dosing (nothing is consuming anything so none needed), or any other equipment other than an ATO.

Lighting is a Hydra 26 with an AB+ lighting (12 hrs with ramp up and down)

22f4dbbd0ec2592794442d232d62358c.jpg

1565018738899.png

1565018764995.png

1565018792655.png

1565018831292.png

1565018862982.png

1565019152810.png

Last edited:

Aquanautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral growth is exponential, so when you start with frags it takes many months before growth is noticeable even when it is happening. Think about it your starting with a small amount of polyps onna frag, so they are limited to how much they can each expand. More polyps = more that can grow.

I'd say by 6-7 months you should have some pretty noticable growth but like cment said there are lots of factors that dictate how much

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally depending on the tank conditions and the type of coral you're growing.
I started seeing growth in zoanthids almost immediately after my tank was cycled yet struggled to keep any acropora a year later. almost 4 years later, everything grows.
For any reefer stability is the goal but despite having rock solid parameters there were still intangibles that test kits couldn't identify. I don't see it mentioned often but stability to me is more than just keeping 3 elements in balance. Its also keeping a firm light schedule, steady temperature, not dumping miracle cures for issues in the system, having a healthy fish population and not adding new stuff all the time (including corals & fish) as chemical and biological processes just seem to take time to iron out.
My advice for anyone having trouble growing coral would be to hold down a solid routine and make a point of keeping your hands out of the tank as much as possible.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toadstool in your picture looks great, so depending on how long it's been in the tank it's probably already grown. Just not a noticeable amount. What you might want to start doing is take pictures of the corals monthly from the same angle and compare them.

As already mentioned there are a lot of factors, but starting growth be it in a new tank or an old, is often the slowest time. Once growth starts it usually only gets faster in part because there is more coral to grow, but also because the corals have settled into their homes.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toadstool in your picture looks great, so depending on how long it's been in the tank it's probably already grown. Just not a noticeable amount. What you might want to start doing is take pictures of the corals monthly from the same angle and compare them.

As already mentioned there are a lot of factors, but starting growth be it in a new tank or an old, is often the slowest time. Once growth starts it usually only gets faster in part because there is more coral to grow, but also because the corals have settled into their homes.

I have to admit the toadstool is a monster. I have lost 7 corals so far. I imagine for a variety of reasons. Fortunately I haven't lost much money on them. I honestly fear that im going to come up on a year of extremely hard effort I will still have just a few rocks and fish.

To boot my wife is negligent in keeping her nano up and will probably have similar results.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ipinion;
It takes 1 to to 2 years for a new reefer to get a new tank up to where thing will grow at a nice rate. Even then, a change in light, alk or something can change that in a day with some coral.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ipinion;
It takes 1 to to 2 years for a new reefer to get a new tank up to where thing will grow at a nice rate. Even then, a change in light, alk or something can change that in a day with some coral.
Thats a very good point. It really does take a while for a tank to mature

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally depending on the tank conditions and the type of coral you're growing.
I started seeing growth in zoanthids almost immediately after my tank was cycled yet struggled to keep any acropora a year later. almost 4 years later, everything grows.
For any reefer stability is the goal but despite having rock solid parameters there were still intangibles that test kits couldn't identify. I don't see it mentioned often but stability to me is more than just keeping 3 elements in balance. Its also keeping a firm light schedule, steady temperature, not dumping miracle cures for issues in the system, having a healthy fish population and not adding new stuff all the time (including corals & fish) as chemical and biological processes just seem to take time to iron out.
My advice for anyone having trouble growing coral would be to hold down a solid routine and make a point of keeping your hands out of the tank as much as possible.

Very solid advice thank you and pretty much the way I roll. No magic cures and I’m very consistent (little OCD to be honest). Everything is scheduled by Aquarimate and I am very good at completing tasks when scheduled. I just hoped to be seeing more success by this point and was concerned it was not making typical progress for a tank that is cared for.

I especially like the point about intangibles. I really feel like there is something I can’t see but it effects the health of my thank.

For example If you look at GThompsons pictures of his three month tank you can see coralline spotted all through the tank shots plus healthy growth with his frags. I suspect he is ahead of the curve. My tank at almost 5 months (aug 19) has hardly a fraction of that coralline and lots of dead coral. I suspected my tank was significantly delayed in its overall development. However I was not sure since I don’t have a reference. I also wanted to know if I have a brown thumb and should just have fish.

Last edited:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of coral is that on the frag in the foreground... a lepto? I have one also that has done almost nothing. Maybe a little bushier.

I'm at five months and things are just starting to take off. A duncan has a few new heads. Softies growing noticeably. Favias.. not so much. They grow so slow :) One acan has some growth and polyps. Two of three acros (given to me) are not doing well. Most everything else has probably grown some, but not real obvious. Euphyllia are alive, but unremarkable. No deaths so far, but not looking good for acros.

Not bragging or complaining, just trying to give you some context on a similar aged tank.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very solid advice thank you and pretty much the way I roll. No magic cures and I’m very consistent (little OCD to be honest). Everything is scheduled by Aquarimate and I am very good at completing tasks when scheduled. I just hoped to be seeing more success by this point and was concerned it was not making typical progress for a tank that is cared for.

I especially like the point about intangibles. I really feel like there is something I can’t see but it effects the health of my thank.

For example If you look at GThompsons pictures of his three month tank you can see coralline spotted all through the tank shots plus healthy growth with his frags. I suspect he is ahead of the curve. My tank at almost 5 months (aug 19) has hardly a fraction of that coralline and lots of dead coral. I suspected my tank was significantly delayed in its overall development. However I was not sure since I don’t have a reference. I also wanted to know if I have a brown thumb and should just have fish.
Just to be clear, I started my tank with well established live rock that had good growth that I purchased from my lfs And I do feel like maybe I am ahead of the curve and it makes me very nervous that at any day it could all crash. That’s one reason I stay on top of it. Good luck with your tank. And for what it’s worth, I buy very inexpensive corals

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of coral is that on the frag in the foreground... a lepto? I have one also that has done almost nothing. Maybe a little bushier.

I'm at five months and things are just starting to take off. A duncan has a few new heads. Softies growing noticeably. Favias.. not so much. They grow so slow :) One acan has some growth and polyps. Two of three acros (given to me) are not doing well. Most everything else has probably grown some, but not real obvious. Euphyllia are alive, but unremarkable. No deaths so far, but not looking good for acros.

Not bragging or complaining, just trying to give you some context on a similar aged tank.

I have a toadstool in the foreground and coral dying in the background.

Yeah I have way more death than growth :). I'm thinking of changing my pic to the grim reaper of corals LOL. Perhaps we should have some milestone threads where everyone post pics of their tanks at 3, 6 and 12 months. ( Scratch that! Everyone would take their 1 year old tank pics and say it was 3 months :D ).

E84AF104-07CC-4493-8EA0-C7762AD151A5.jpeg

Last edited:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a toadstool in the foreground and coral dying in the background.

Yeah I have way more death than growth :). I'm thinking of changing my pic to the grim reaper of corals LOL. Perhaps we should have some milestone threads where everyone post pics of their tanks at 3, 6 and 12 months. ( Scratch that! Everyone would take their 1 year old tank pics and say it was 3 months :D ).

E84AF104-07CC-4493-8EA0-C7762AD151A5.jpeg
Lol. I think your being a little hard on yourself :)

Gj being honest though. You've inspired me to update my build thread. I was waiting for everything to come back to life!

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I think your being a little hard on yourself :)

Gj being honest though. You've inspired me to update my build thread. I was waiting for everything to come back to life!

Mine is more like a diary lol. I do actually reread it as I’m trying to learn stuff. As I get aha moments I go back to look over old issues I was having. Looking at it in a new light if you will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any coralline algae growing on your rocks and glass?

Once you do, then you’re ready for coral growth.

I’m getting spots if it popping up on my pumps and back glass, My rocks were covered in it when I got them. It all died. For a while the only thing that had it was my snails.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you're not alone in the battle for Coraline. my system took nearly 18 months before I saw any grow on the glass despite it starting on the rocks, albeit at a snails pace.
for me saltwater is just so different. I came from a freshwater background where it seemed like everything I tried was an immediate success whereas this game makes you earn the achievement. reef tanks seem to weed hobbyists out with steady waves of issues right off the start and only reward the patient with progress that results in a piece of art for your trouble. keep fighting and eventually you'll be sick of the Coraline that shows up lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back