How long can a fish live w/o eating? It’s been over a week

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flasher wrasse who I’ve had for almost 2 years has not eaten more than 3-4 flakes of food in over a week. (Not per day). he is normally a pig and eats house made fish food. I don’t normally feed flakes but trying to get him to eat anything.

The first three days he hid and didn’t come out. When he came out from hiding I noticed white stringy poop but havent seen it since. His coloration has changed to a darker color and it appears his belly looks pinched or just getting skinny He always used to occasionally scratch on the rocks. It looks like he is gasping for air occasionally and his mouth stays open.

I feel awful because I think he is starving to death and don’t know what to do.

he still swims around but will hide if you walk up to the tank.
D8CA9E03-4E6A-4A36-9FAC-C900CC10C293.jpeg

Last edited:

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a clownfish not eating for 2 months, not a crumble, and no surprise he didn't make it.
If there is a complete "systemshutdown" (i like to call it that way) for more than 2 weeks, i think that no cure or medicin will ever get a fish start eating again.

So you need to act quickly.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a clownfish not eating for 2 months, not a crumble, and no surprise he didn't make it.
If there is a complete "systemshutdown" (i like to call it that way) for more than 2 weeks, i think that no cure or medicin will get a fish start eating again.

So you need to act quickly.
What should I do though?

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe but believe that he had symptoms of flukes for over 6 months but that never stopped him from eating like a pig.

edit. Probably more like a year. I did eventually dose some prazipro and didn’t notice much scratching until recently. A good 3-5 months without scratching

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flasher wrasse who I’ve had for almost 2 years has not eaten more than 3-4 flakes of food in over a week. (Not per day). he is normally a pig and eats house made fish food. I don’t normally feed flakes but trying to get him to eat anything.

The first three days he hid and didn’t come out. When he came out from hiding I noticed white stringy poop but havent seen it since. His coloration has changed to a darker color and it appears his belly looks pinched or just getting skinny He always used to occasionally scratch on the rocks. It looks like he is gasping for air occasionally and his mouth stays open.

I feel awful because I think he is starving to death and don’t know what to do.

he still swims around but will hide if you walk up to the tank.
D8CA9E03-4E6A-4A36-9FAC-C900CC10C293.jpeg

Sorry - this seems to be an internal issue, and those are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat. Generally, a fish that stops feeding for two to three weeks won't survive, even if you manage to solve the original problem.

Here is an article I wrote up on fish anorexia:

Jay

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - this seems to be an internal issue, and those are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat. Generally, a fish that stops feeding for two to three weeks won't survive, even if you manage to solve the original problem.

Here is an article I wrote up on fish anorexia:

Jay
When is the time to decide to euthanize due to starvation ? How should it be done.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the time to decide to euthanize due to starvation ? How should it be done.

Knowing when to euthanize is tough - you want to give the fish every possible chance, but you don't want it to suffer unduly.

In terms of HOW to euthanize, I had written a post on that:

Jay

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple of days not eating the human body starts to produce extra endorfines which make you feel rather good. Not sure if this is the same case with animals especially fishes but chances are rather high that he won't suffer at all. Untill a certain point ofcourse.
I start euthanasia as soon as i notice they become very lethargic and start losing balance / fighting for balance because then you know for sure the end is near.

Costareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrasses live around 5 years - some more some less. It could be old age - did you happen to add anything new?
I had a bluesided fairy who stopped eating and I ended up euthanizing him because I felt like he was at the end of his natural lifespan. 7 years in captivity.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing when to euthanize is tough - you want to give the fish every possible chance, but you don't want it to suffer unduly.

In terms of HOW to euthanize, I had written a post on that:

Jay
It seems like from your first article I’m already too late to bring him back as he still isnt eating.

im going to assess tomorrow and decide next steps. Of all the options to euthanize I feel like I would want to make it as quick as possible. most options listed seem drawn out.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i haven’t been able to catch him. I noticed yesterday and today that he has white stringy poop.

I still haven’t seen him eat though. Is this normal? Any recommendations. It’s been two weeks since he stopped eating

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i haven’t been able to catch him. I noticed yesterday and today that he has white stringy poop.

I still haven’t seen him eat though. Is this normal? Any recommendations. It’s been two weeks since he stopped eating
I didn’t think the wrasse looked sick or hungry. I think it is just feeding on the stuff it finds around your tank and the strings o poop are not signs of starvation.

Fish can forage and find food without eating flakes, I don’t eat flakes either.

If the fish is dying you should be able to net it easily. If that happens put the fish in a small bowl. Place the end of a club soda bottle under the surface and crack the cap open. The CO2 in the water will cause it to black out quickly and it will not know what comes next.

I don’t think the CO2 information is necessary but if it is then now you know.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

White stringy can be mucus shed from the intestines and then an indication of starvation.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back