How long can a reef tank last w/o power?

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering how long will a reef tank be alright without power? No water movement, lights etc....thanks!

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering how long will a reef tank be alright without power? No water movement, lights etc....thanks!

What is your fish load, as this is the determining factor.... The corals will last in a bag for over 24 hours but the fish use up you O2

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen depletion would be the biggest problem. Of course, temp may be an issue depending on the time of year. The fish have to have oxygen to live. If they start to die, that will have a trickle down effect on the rest of the ecosystem. That's why it's always good to have a backup battery or battery powered powerhead for your tank - just in case. This will not happen in 2-3 hours, but without surface aggitation, oxygen disappears quickly, and the fish will suffer. This can happen as soon as 5-6 hours but I've seen tanks go for 2 days without movement and most everything lived...

A reef will be fine without lights for a couple of days. Some folks do that on purpose every once in a while.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish load are 4 in a 57 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump. I'm at work and no way I can check the tank 'til I get home at 6pm. The power is been out for 4 hrs. Thanks for the replys and crossing my fingers 'til I get home later tonight. I need to get myself a UPS in the future.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Good luck getting your power back on. I just bought a battery powered air pump for just an emergency but was thinking on getting a gas powered back up generator for those hot summer days. Never know when a bad storm is going to barrel through.

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost power for over a day. I just kept pouring cups of tank water back into the tank every few hours. Helps to aerate(sp) the water a bit. This was in a 29 gal biocube and everything survived.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agitate the water but I'm not home:sad:..I just hope everything is fine..keep you guys posted later tonight.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a battery backup or a generator is an important addition to any important aquarium. Its not that much considering the investment of time and money.

Remember the 2 day blackout in the east coast like 6 years ago? Anything could happen, an earthquake in Cali, a tornado or flood in the midwest, or a hurricane on the east coast.

Good luck, I would reccomend keeping the ambient temp in your aquarium room closer to the tank temp so at least temps are not going to be the issue

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power just went on and everything looks alright for now. I see all the fishes except for one, the yellow wrasse, and all the corals looks good. I also put an extra heater in the DT to get the temp up. That's almost 8 hrs total with no power. I even got a battery powered air pump..hehe.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news man. The wrasse probably just buried himself since the lights were out. Bet you'll see him tomorrow.

OP
OP
Mavjoy

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp went down to 69! It's slowly going up:bigsmile:. Most likely the wrasse is underneath the sand. Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was out for 10hrs one time when my heater broke and blew the breaker... Newb mistake, it was my first tank and I only used one circut forthe tank..:( it blew like when I walked out the door for work and when I got home and noticed all was still well... Prolly pushed the envolope but I didn't have any losses...:) glad all is okay...

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a UPS. They start working at the moment there is no power. Mine runs three Koralias and a power head in the sump for 8 hours. After that I have a Honda genertator for longer outages.

Here are some photos

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad in Vegas we never have powev outages... That's a great back up there..;)
the only way we lose power is if we don't pay the bill... Which in July and august it's hard to with a 600$ a month bill...:(

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad in Vegas we never have powev outages... That's a great back up there..;)
the only way we lose power is if we don't pay the bill... Which in July and august it's hard to with a 600$ a month bill...:(

(almost three years later) all that money into electric and you could be buying a wind powered generator!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(almost three years later) all that money into electric and you could be buying a wind powered generator!
Ya for sure... Vegas sucks we have one power company so they set the standards high and we have no choice but to pay it... Solar panels are our only
Option..:sad:

reefman46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 to 4 hour as far as fish and crabs and shrimp are concern 1 1/2 corals within 24 hour cause i had power go out here in connecticut and i wasn't prepared and lost over 1,500.00 dollars in corals and fish on my 150 gallon and it hurts big time

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back