How long can corals last out of water safely

Atu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Okay since you want to put it that way, when does the ocean dose anything to reduce alage in natural reefs? Show me scientific proof! We dose chemicals in a closed loop system, to help balance our particular reef. Yet, most people don’t find the root of the problem. Also nopox is addictive it’s just like vodka and it’s addictive to humans aka (it’s called alcoholism, and corals are actual organisms that can and or will become addictive to their habitat and or ecosystems. For further reference read page 6 of the directions of Redsea nopox no3 no4 and pay close attention to the extreme detail they have laid out.

But let’s be correct one oxygen is a gas not a chemical, according to periodic table salt is a mineral! Chlorophyll is an actual pigment (need I go on)!! Wait that’s not all carbon is an actual chemical usually listed with the label C.

Prove to me alcohol isn’t addictive, or organisms do not become addictive to an unknown source they are not naturally exposed to. Nobody is doubting your a great reefer etc it was never mentioned (or thought of actually), however you have an algae problem because of what exactly? Have you been able to determine that and or did you decide to dose this because you were tired of it. Regardless it’s your tank (you can do anything you like) but the whole point was you asking help. Your still going to have this problem later on even if you dose this. Unless you find the reason behind the problem this is a temp fix and does nothing good for your ecosystem.

You are confusing chemical element with chemical substance. If you truly want me to expand on the other questions just ask again and I will gladly discuss it.

I truly don't want to offend anybody, sorry if it came out harsh, it just that it gets on my nerves when I hear someone talking about "chemicals" as if they were some evil thing.
It makes me remember this comic strip by SMBC

20140411.png

Sorry to go off-topic @Andrew Schubert . Anyway, what @brandon429 said is good advice also, I read hundreds of his posts when I was battling. Never thank or anything Brandon, so here it goes, thanks!
Alas my tank is deep and with lots of rocks, fluconazole was gods gift to me.
Good luck with your tank Andrew!

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love SMBC.
Could be dark matter in there, definitely.
Hopefully not strange matter, though. If strange matter, do not pop that cap!

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skipped reading the battle above, but I have kept corals out of water for 8+ hours to no ill effect. I moved a tank and the back glass was 100% encrusted with Montipora digitata. Much to my surprise, none died. I wouldn’t recommend trying that long but corals are way more resilient than we think.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a year old and have been battling turf algae for 6 months now. I'm thinking of taking all the rock out and manually removing it all. With that said, I'd have to chisel the rock where my corals have encrusted. How long can corals be out of water to safely remove everything? I have sps, lps, and softies like zoas.

I once accidentally tossed 2 polyps of a zoa I really liked in the garbage for 2 hours... within an hour in the water it opened right back up

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't plan to but had stylo and acro out of the water for at least 2 hours. I also had a sensitive purple monster that would stn if I looked at it the wrong way. If they are good sliming corals then the longer they can stay out imo.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. In the wild many take direct rainfall and relentless sun for hours during low tide. What keeps them living is that Mother Nature doesn’t have idiotic devices like dosers, apexes and kalkwasser to pour copious amounts of poison on the corals like many confused knuckleheads continue to do in their misguided effort to manipulate biology.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t try this with euphyllia or anemones. Most likely not mushrooms either.
I once put a bunch of live rock from a tank into a bucket and threw it into the back of my vehicle. A couple of days later I took it out and realized there were some really nice blue mushrooms on one of the pieces of rock. At that point, they just looked like nearly dried snot.

Put them in a tank and two hours later they were open like nothing had happened.

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pics of this algae? You mentioned turf algae but also mentioned a very low PO4. Not saying it isn’t turf algae but years ago I had what I thought was turf algae and I was chasing that ULNS “fad” that was spreading like wildfire back around 2012ish.... turns out they were dinos which resembled turf algae and years later after I lost the 6month battle I learned the source of the problem was chasing the ulns..... do you have to pluck this stuff off the rocks or does it blow off with a turkey baster?

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pics of this algae? You mentioned turf algae but also mentioned a very low PO4. Not saying it isn’t turf algae but years ago I had what I thought was turf algae and I was chasing that ULNS “fad” that was spreading like wildfire back around 2012ish.... turns out they were dinos which resembled turf algae and years later after I lost the 6month battle I learned the source of the problem was chasing the ulns..... do you have to pluck this stuff off the rocks or does it blow off with a turkey baster?
It's fully entertwind with the rocks. Pulling it off the rocks is the only way, and even then I can't even get all of it very easily.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back