How long can live sand sit in an empty tank

Baboon7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello, I just got a 90 gallon aquarium and I am going to add water in the morning. The guy is filling the tank at 9am but I work super late and don't think I can wake up to add the sand and rock prior to his arrival. Can I add the sand and rock to an empty tank and leave it over night? Or will the bacteria die that quickly in the sand?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome
The live sand was in a bag or box for how long?
Im sure 1 more day will not hurt it.
I would rinse the sand, unless it just came out of the ocean.

OP
OP
B

Baboon7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Not sure how long the LFS had it but I've had it for 3 days but I wanted to open the bags up and lay the sand right before work. So it would be open to the air for about 20 hours

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse it. You dont want all the dust and dead stuff in your tank. Wet sand in a tank will not dry for a week or longer.

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse it really good. The bacteria will still be there. Then rinse it some more. Save the headache of the sandstorm

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse it. I can’t tell you the headache it causes. Like the above poster said he was cleaning stuff for a while after the fact. What happens is all that stuff floating eventually settles at the bottom. Sand can look nice if it falls over rocks (Atleast in planted tanks) but if you don’t it all settles.

If you already opened the sand and put it in I’d run a canister filter For a week.

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand? Don't rinse it, use the packet that comes with it to clear the particulates. The packet just weighs the cloud down and it'll clear in a couple days.. the live bacteria dies if dried out, so I read, but it has to get really dry to kill it .

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above 2 posts. live sand should not be rinsed unless u have loads of RODI water/freshly mixed saltwater available to rinse.. there will be small bag of agglomerating compound that will bind smaller particles together making them heavy enough to settle on the bottom. your dirt cloud will settle overnight. you can also put a fine filter sock to catch anything that goes through the overflow. the bacteria in live sand will be ok as long as it has enough moisture (saltwater) in it. don't let it dry.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the OP from May 1 will tell us if he rinsed or not this live sand and how the tank fared afterwards.

Followup please & thanks!
what happened GIF by Warner Archive

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t rinse live sand. That defeats the whole purpose of buying live sand.
Some do and do some dont. You cannot remove live bacteria by rinsing sand. Bacteria will cling like algae on a frag plug. Scrubbing or killing it is the only way to remove it.

Brisdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just got a 90 gallon aquarium and I am going to add water in the morning. The guy is filling the tank at 9am but I work super late and don't think I can wake up to add the sand and rock prior to his arrival. Can I add the sand and rock to an empty tank and leave it over night? Or will the bacteria die that quickly in the sand?
Hi all reading this now I’m confused starting a new Cade 1500 tank and was going to finish the rock scape and putting in Carib Sea live sand and was told not to rinse and told the same by a few people on YouTube but people here saying rinse it ? I thought rinsing in fresh water would not be good for the good bacteria, don’t know what to do now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back