How long can sps be out of water?

B22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how much you paid ;-)
Those expensive frags always handle less it seems.
Haha that seems to be my experience also.
I would just do like others have said and mist the the coral if you keep it out longer then 10-15 minutes

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travelled with a lot of sps in damp paper towels for about 15 hours with just one loss because it dried out (was not damp enough I guess)
If you need to keep it out very long just mist them every now and then or take a little piece of damp (with tank water) paper towel and gently 'wrap up' the corals

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to drain my tank to remove some fish. All my acros did fine except for my birds nest. All the tips dried out and died. They were only out of the water for 20 minutes or so. It has recovered and is doing fine.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453479880.766636.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453479895.062020.jpg

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general rule I like 15 minutes although some of my stags have been up to 45 minutes when I get distracted while doing a water change and are fine. My smooth skin acros like red dragons, hawkins etc. I really try to avoid any airtime as I will occasionally lose one one after fragging and letting the frag dry outside the tank for 5 minutes...point is, they are definitely more susceptible to any stressors...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a general rule I like 15 minutes although some of my stags have been up to 45 minutes when I get distracted while doing a water change and are fine. My smooth skin acros like red dragons, hawkins etc. I really try to avoid any airtime as I will occasionally lose one one after fragging and letting the frag dry outside the tank for 5 minutes...point is, they are definitely more susceptible to any stressors...

45 min? How were the acros?

Jdeleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine get exposed during a water change for about 10-15 min, I worry more about the light burning them at that point,

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out and if it doesn't slime, it won't last long without keeping it moist. Not all SPS have slime coating for protection against drying up. Some will look quite dry the moment it come out of water, feels dry to the touch.

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 min? How were the acros?

for my hardy stags and montipora I have never lost anyone at 45 minutes. I never intend to keep them out of water that long and might throw some water over them if I remember, but otherwise slime heavy and look great the next day. Should not be surprising as many sps may be exposed at lower tides etc for a longer period of time. anyway, not recommended , just interesting to note many sps are a lot hardier than we think..

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back