How long did your new skimmer produce excess microbubbles, if any?

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a new simplicity DC120 skimmer and was curious if other brands had face microbubble issues during the “break-in” period. I want to get this skimmer squared away before I add the bacteria and such to promote the cycle.

I would rather buy a different skimmer if there are any known to not have immediate microbubble issues or extremely long break in periods. Curious how long your break in periods were or resolutions you had with DC skimmers..

P.S I’ve done tons of research and followed all the steps to tune it, but I don’t feel like waiting weeks, just to be let down.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty normal on a new skimmers to get micobubbles. Both my bubble magus and lifereef skimmers had this issue when brand new but within a week it was gone.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octo elite and it produced a ton of micro bubbles. It took awhile to calm down like 2+ months. It still actually produces micro bubbles but I put some foam mesh in the baffle section of my sump and they don’t make it to the display.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a used $50 EShopps HOB....2 hours microbubbles.....
I now have a $300+ Ice Kap K3 250 HOB.....1 year old, still makes micro bubbles.....so really just depends.....

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octo elite and it produced a ton of micro bubbles. It took awhile to calm down like 2+ months. It still actually produces micro bubbles but I put some foam mesh in the baffle section of my sump and they don’t make it to the display.
Thanks! The waterbox came with a coarse filter to go in the baffle for the return. Not doing much work. I’m looking to do what you’re saying and get a finer holed sponge that will do more, without impeding flow and what not.

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a used $50 EShopps HOB....2 hours microbubbles.....
I now have a $300+ Ice Kap K3 250 HOB.....1 year old, still makes micro bubbles.....so really just depends.....
Dang.. Is it enough to make it through a sponge baffle and go through your return and into your display though?

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The waterbox came with a coarse filter to go in the baffle for the return. Not doing much work. I’m looking to do what you’re saying and get a finer holed sponge that will do more, without impeding flow and what not.
I found them on Amazon. Originally ordered a rough one and changed to a finer one later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back