Skimmer selection

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a new 80 gallon shallow display tank. After accounting for rock/sand and sump volume I’m at 80 gallons system volume more or less. It’s been a long time since I needed a new skimmer so I figured I would ask the community for some help. It will be a spa dominant tank with a good size bioload. The skimmer also needs to work with ozone.

I found two I like but am open to options. The price is more or less immaterial as long as it’s not a thousand dollar unit.

Two I like so far are both Tunes

The 9410DC which looks to need a separate air pump but has an Ozone port and a place for carbon at the outlet to scrub excess ozone.

The second is the comline 9012 DC which is also ozone ready without a pump. It ejects water out the bottom so I could likely place a bag of carbon there to eliminate excess ozone.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is your first skimmer keep it simple. The tried and true reef octopus 110int. Simple straight forward and works. When you want to upgrade there's a DC pump you can add later.

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is your first skimmer keep it simple. The tried and true reef octopus 110int. Simple straight forward and works. When you want to upgrade there's a DC pump you can add later.

Thank you for the suggestion. This is not my first skimmer and actually I’m replacing the 110-s. My pump went out and I’m looking to up my game a little.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back