Wrong Skimmer shipped with RS 350 G2 Max

DesertReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an RS 350 G2 Max with the hopes of having a seamless integration of most of the components. My current setup (525 Xl) functions well but like others is a mixture of different manufacturers. For the 350 I wanted to have a base of RS components but I will still have some non-RS devices.

I'm curious if anyone has had this problem. The tank was shipped with the RS controller for the Reef Run 5500 return pump and the RSK-600 Smart DC Skimmer. The problem is that the Skimmer shipped did not have the correct collection cup lid for the sensor nor was there a sensor. I contacted the LFS I purchased the tank from and was informed this was a common problem that stems back to when RS began selling the smart Skimmer but their shipping dept was shipping out standard skimmers. The LFS rep stated they were under the assumption RS had corrected this error months prior but obviously, the problem still exists.

I have emailed RS and explained the situation and I'm awaiting a response. This is a minor issue in my case as I am in no rush to set up this tank, too many other responsibilities are taking up my time. But this seems like a BS issue a global company should have taken care of long ago.

For added experience from this recent RS purchase:

The return plumbing on the 350 G2 is a dual return and the supplied plumbing did not align with the bulkheads by 5/8". Again I had to contact RS and open a ticket and after a dozen emails with photos, they offered to replace the plumbing section. This was only after they advised that sometimes the plumbing is slightly off and I just needed to "pry' the return pipes apart slightly to align them. I explained this was a bad idea and was not relying on this to not leak.

The slide-out control panel was missing the hardware to mount it. The box it arrived in has the mounting template on the back of the box, an obvious attempt to save money by including a sheet of paper inside the box of the template. The problem is the back of the back was damaged making the template useless. Again I had to email RS open a ticket and go through the process of a week to explain the problem with photos.

This thread was intended to be informative but with a little venting. So far RS has responded by taking responsibility but the number of issues and the delays in the build are concerning.

So as a PSA, when you receive your RS DC skimmer verify it has the updated lid and sensor and correct motor. The smart skimmer motor should have a 4 pin din connector.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back