RS Max Nano G2 Soft Coral Tank

docscorals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2025
Messages
639
Reaction score
591
Location
Madison
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my second tank, a RS Max Nano G2. This is built out as a soft coral tank consisting of mainly mushroom coral and zoanthids. I also have a small hammer coral garden from heads that survived my move - unfortunately my euphyllia didn't fare well 😩. I am growing out some Leptastrea on the back wall and added in a UFO scoly, a button scoly, and some acans that I used to have in another tank because the lighting was perfect for them. But, the main goal here is to really grow out some awesome mushroom and zoa gardens.

The equipment on the tank is pretty minimal. I have the tank connected to a hydros controller and I am still using the stock Red Sea light. I removed the filter sock and replaced it with a filter floss holder from Etsy, and I removed the skimmer because I could never get it dialed in, and given the corals I have in the tank I am OK if my nutrients are high. I have a hygger powerhead for some added flow for the hammers.

For fish, I have three clownfish - 2 mochas and a misbar. Yes, they all get along and I haven't had any problems!



IMG_4543.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg
 
Nice! Thanks for sharing!!!
 
Getting good growth from the hammers and seeing some new heads forming. They are looking really nice! Glad I was able to save these from my colonies after we moved. The Zoas are spreading really well too. Really pleased with how large some of the mushrooms are getting as well.

I am a little concerned about my UFO Scoly in the front left. It isn’t quite as happy as it used to be. The color is still on point but the tissue isn’t expanding as much. I checked and the par is good in that area and I’m not seeing any pests.

It may be a nutrient issue. I have been having to dose nutrients in this tank because it is all soft and LPS coral.

I’m getting a lot of light spill from the window today so the picture isn’t as nice as the last one. I’ll post another picture later today. I am really enjoying going back to more of the coral specific types (SPS, softie and LPSY of tanks over mixed reefs with all these rebuilds. I liked the mixed reefs I used to have, but I am really enjoying this approach again.
20260815_110719_E9E8E803-56A7-4884-844E-600B51F4C723.png
 
Here’s a better picture.
20260815_202548_86CA529C-0DF8-4CDD-AAF8-C6E8D8CFEB0B.png
 
Update.

Hammers are getting some new heads. The Kenya Tree in the back is really growing, along with the Zoa colonies. The mushrooms are really expanding as well.

The two acan colonies in either corner get really big and fluffy during the day.

The leptastrea on the back we’ll have finally started extending their polyps really well. The are just starting to encrust on the back wall from their plugs.

I have been slowly increasing the par in the tank because the Zoas were really stretching for the light.
20260920_123230_C16A0AEE-6262-4E91-B660-D0749BF4AA30.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new