How long do conchs usually sit there for?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom wanted to get a conch, so I got one at the lfs today. It's just sitting there, doing nothing. I've had a conch way back when my tank first started, which did the same thing and eventually died after a month or so, seemingly stuck under the sand. Is this normal conch behaviour or am I missing something? There's not really anything for it to eat right now so I'd think it should probably be running around in search of food.
ignore the cerith, it's doing just fine lol

1694931314344.png

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can sit for a while, I've seen mine not move for a week or so.

Assuming it was moving at the shop, it's just acclimating - it'll move when it's hungry.
yeah it was the most skittly one at the store... and it jumped a couple of times in the bag lol
should I specifically feed it or will it just eat whatever the engi and the dascyllus leaves?

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn’t move for a couple weeks when it was new. Thought it was dead and didn’t want it to fowl the water so grabbed it and sure enough was still alive. Every once in a while the conch won’t move for several days but then becomes active again. Usually you can spot their eyes moving ever so slightly to give you some signs of life. IMO, what you are experiencing is pretty common.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it was the most skittly one at the store... and it jumped a couple of times in the bag lol
should I specifically feed it or will it just eat whatever the engi and the dascyllus leaves?
They're really good at keeping substrate clean as they eat any leftover food. They eat quite a lot.
How big is your tank?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back